FIA stamping out flexible front wings (F1)

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by svensktoppen, Aug 2, 2010.

1. svensktoppen RMS Regular

svensktoppen
    Drives:
    S3, Elise
  2. CHR15-53AT RMS Regular

CHR15-53AT
    Drives:
    SEAT Ibiza
    My understanding is that they are not stamping them out, meerly increasing the load and deflection testing. It is possible that RBR and Ferrari will still pass the tests. The only people who know at the minute are the people within those teams, and I'm sure they have already tested them for the new weights/loads. If they are not legal, then I'm sure the tech chiefs will come up with something by Belgium.

It will be interesting to see how this develops, could be deemed legal like the diffusers were last year and the F-Ducts at the start of this year. Whitmarsh and others may just have to quit gurning and go spend some money figuring it out. Like everyone else did with the F-Duct.
  3. davecoupe RMS Regular

davecoupe
    Drives:
    S14a + C220
    Thats interesting, i was taking RB and Ferrari's corner with this one since it passed the scrutiny. from this bit of text though is seems like McL were within their right to complain.

The counter argument will be, It isnt really designed to bridge the gap between the ground and the track. It will be interesting to see if either of the teams above modify their wings for the next race
  4. Marc.W RMS Regular

Marc.W
    Drives:
    Ibiza Cupra
    I was watching the RB Ferrari and McLaren front wings closely at the weekend, the RB one is Very Obvious and Ferrari's is much less noticeable, McLaren's is totally rigid.

I haven't read up on the rules but I'm pretty sure that the front wing is to be within a certain height and the RB one was touching the track round some corners on Sunday
  5. CarbonKa RMS Regular

CarbonKa
    Drives:
    potential moneyp
    I'm glad this is getting clarified. I don't so much mind if the flexi wings stay or go, but some transparity in the amount of flex would be great.
    Red Bull and Ferrari have been very clever in theier interpretation of the rules, and having passed scrutiny, they're legal atm with the current tests. However, there can be no doubt that the wings are designed to flex and therefore "not in the spirit of the rules". However, as Horner has said, McLaren have dabbled with flexi wings before, notibly the rear elements (which opened to reduce drag) and were borderline legal. Some fella called Adrian Newey was designing the cars at that point......

Clever Man.
  6. Marc.W RMS Regular

Marc.W
    Drives:
    Ibiza Cupra
    No Doubt that Newey can Build a quick car, but he also knows how to stretch rules beyond recognition too :p
  7. CarbonKa RMS Regular

CarbonKa
    Drives:
    potential moneyp
    stretching rules to thier absolute maximum IS how you build a quick car..... He's an absolute legend. Unfortunatly. :p
  8. Marc.W RMS Regular

Marc.W
    Drives:
    Ibiza Cupra
    Unfortunately for McLaren :p
  9. svensktoppen RMS Regular

svensktoppen
    Drives:
    S3, Elise
    Lol, yes, but that is what a good designer does. Same as last year with brawn and the diffuser.

The "spirit" of the rule is clear, they only "pass" on a technicality in the testing procedure.

I am with CarbonKa. Do not care much either way, as long as it is cleared up and everyone knows what the score is.
  10. CarbonKa RMS Regular

CarbonKa
    Drives:
    potential moneyp
    I read earlier how it was measured, aparently it's a 200kg weight hung off the plank, and endplate height is measured from there. Flap deformity is measured seperatly, but from what I understand, the ridgidity of the main base of the wing is never questioned. Tbh, good on redbull etc for exploiting that loophole!
  11. Souleh RMS Regular

Souleh
    Drives:
    Astra coupe / ZX
    Mildly off topic..! Was that your elise in bangor tonight over the dual carriageways between the roundabouts? :)

Ontopic, the diffuser clearly works but passes scrutineering so they cant be de-ducted points can they?
  12. CarbonKa RMS Regular

CarbonKa
    Drives:
    potential moneyp
    It's passed all current scrutiny, so points can't be deducted. I think we'll see a major difference in the way the parts are tested.
  13. svensktoppen RMS Regular

svensktoppen
    Drives:
    S3, Elise
    Nope. Unless she popped out for milk on her own :)
  14. DEEJAY.B RMS Regular

DEEJAY.B
    Drives:
    AUDI A4 Advant .
  15. CarbonKa RMS Regular

CarbonKa
    Drives:
    potential moneyp
    Just read on that t**t James Allen's blog that the FIA are unlikely to release just how they intend to scrutineer the wings in spa, meaning the teams are going to have to guess how to beef up the units. I guess that this is to force the teams to create a completely rigid structure, not knowing what will and won't pass, unless it is completely stiff.
    He also says he suspects that the whole nose assembly flexes somehow.

Be interesting to see how performance differs in belgium.
  16. Marc.W RMS Regular

Marc.W
    Drives:
    Ibiza Cupra
    I reckon red bull will put the old front wings on for Spa and have a close look at how the FIA test it :p
  17. DEEJAY.B RMS Regular

DEEJAY.B
    Drives:
    AUDI A4 Advant .
    Aidrian Newey just doesnt know when to stop designing "trick"
    bits for the Red Bull RB6. According to reports ,not only do the front wing endplates flex but the whole nose lowers with load,
    also now the floor is flexing to the rear of the car, lifting the rear while dropping the front . This leaves me wondering how the FIA
    are ever gonna be able to test this "flexing" while the car is static
    in scrutineering when its rigid and legal but once RB hit the track the loads start to work the "magic". Im just recalling Christian Horner being asked how he felt about others teams developing
    their own blown diffusers to which he calmly said " the diffuser is
    just one piece which by itself doesnt gain much time"...Now it all
    makes sense .;)
  18. svensktoppen RMS Regular

svensktoppen
    Drives:
    S3, Elise
    Ah, now that does make more sense than just the ends flexing. And means they will still be ahead even if they stiffen up the ends of the wings.

As someone else said, the whole floor also flexes. This is what everyone was on about at the start of the season - that the car was changing/adapting ride hight on the track.

From a pure engineering point of view, this car is just astonishing. Making all that work without ending up with a great big mess... Pure magic.

I doubt a static test will ever put this to rest.
  19. CarbonKa RMS Regular

CarbonKa
    Drives:
    potential moneyp
    I guess the beauty of carbon fibre is it can be engineered and manipulated to twist/flex in very specific and controlled ways. Horner is adament that they're not going to change anything for spa.
    As much as im all for the playing field being levelled, it's impressive seeing some ingenuity being brought in. It is, after all a large part of F1.