gunk everywhere?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
Drives
Scenic TomTom
Cleaning the motor today and i noticed this inside of the drivers wheel caked in grease. Anyone any ideas what it might be and is it expensive to fix? MOT up in the next month and im guessing this would fail in current state?

DSC00722.JPG

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
CV Boot is gone by the looks of it. £10 for a new boot kit, and probably an hours work to fit it

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
OP
BurntCarcus
Drives
Scenic TomTom
Cheers metro, not so bad then. I take it it would be best to get it done quick so it dosent dry out and wreck the cv joint? Still be ok to drive for a few days?

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Should be ok for a while, but as you say water and grit can get in and dry out the bearings, then its new cv joint time

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
OP
BurntCarcus
Drives
Scenic TomTom
chrisni1986 said:
cv boot has came loose and fired the grease everywhere....

Thats what had happened. Silver metal ring had split, so ive a large jubelee clip holding it on for the mean time. Fired loads a grease into it too. Should hold for a week or so till i get it sorted. Cheers for the help guys (y)

DSC00723.JPG

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
OP
BurntCarcus
Drives
Scenic TomTom
Whats the best thing to clean grease off? Whole inside of alloy caked in it lol

Marc

RMS Moderator
alloy wheel cleaner and a good powerhose, then something along the lines of gunk worked for me :grinning:

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
Lots of fairy liquid, hot water and a scrubbing brush. Or some engine degreaser would probably do it too. But, Fairy is 89p which is a lot cheaper than a tub of Gunk.

PhilG

RMS Regular
BurntCarcus said:
Whats the best thing to clean grease off? Whole inside of alloy caked in it lol

Paint thinners. Believe me, ive cleaned cv grease off my rims before painting, however some had dried onto the rim so it had to be scraped off then used paint thinners to finish cleaning them up.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.