Hannu Mikkola, thousand lakes, Audi S1

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Well worth a watch, the one where everything went wrong but he still left with a new record through Ouninpohja, a full minute faster than his previous record in the old quattro.

Those cars really were complete pigs, lol, but so cool :cool:

Love the bit where they adjusted the turbo pressure - by turning a screw in the engine bay. And water cooled brakes. Those were the days!

Didn't realise he died in February this year.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
This was Michele Moulton on the 1985 COI on the Hamilton's Folly and Ballnoe stages. My mate took the pictures while my mind was being bent by the noise of it, I'd been out spectating since I was a kid and had never heard anything like it up to that, even Billy Coleman's Stratos.

Moulton1.jpg

Moulton2.jpg

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
This was Michele Moulton on the 1985 COI on the Hamilton's Folly and Ballnoe stages. My mate took the pictures while my mind was being bent by the noise of it, I'd been out spectating since I was a kid and had never heard anything like it up to that, even Billy Coleman's Stratos.

View attachment 342097
View attachment 342098
Jesus Christ that first pic much understeer anyone :joy:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Aye, that's why the S2 was made, they moved the rads and oil coolers and as many other things as possible to the rear and put the huge wings on it to make it a bit better balanced. That plus it was a loose hairpin and you couldn't use a hydro handbrake on the early 4WD cars..

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Aye, that's why the S2 was made, they moved the rads and oil coolers and as many other things as possible to the rear and put the huge wings on it to make it a bit better balanced. That plus it was a loose hairpin and you couldn't use a hydro handbrake on the early 4WD cars..
Naw I know the craic with the old rally cars still a million times more epic than the modern stuff

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Jesus Christ that first pic much understeer anyone :joy:
They were always complete pigs to drive, lol, made up for it with power and the 4wd. They did improve over the years but really struggled against the Peugeot and Stratos, etc., that were much more purpose built from the start.

The quattro basically started from an Audi 80, which was never designed to be raced. They then made the shorter "sport quattro" as a homologation special and the base for the S1. It was much better but still a pig.

There was also a prototype mid engined car, but those were canned with the end of group B. Same mad engine and quattro but even faster, and with more raceable balance. Only the one prototype ever built I think, never raced.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I think all rally cars of the era were complete nightmares to drive but were the complete opposite with lots and lots of oversteer.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@svensktoppen Ken Block is now an Audi brand ambassador (!) and got to drive the Group B and Group S prototype recently..

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, saw that :cool:

Was hilarious seeing him in the S1, lol, clearly no clue how to drive something as basic and rudimentary as that :innocent:

Incredible they let him drive those cars and he seemed to enjoy it!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

View attachment 342097
View attachment 342098

1985, year I was born. Sorry.