Help! E46 starter motor

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
Anyone replaced this before?

Went to the car the other day, it wouldnt start at all, no crank, no whirring, nothing.

Lights all work fine, alarm, remote locking al works fine, so battery is ok.

Push starting it, it started 1st time, no problem. When I stopped the car, and tried to restart with the key... nothing.

Euro car parts is showing the motor as £200!!! :worried:

hardc0re_tid

RMS Regular
Drives
Phat Almera GTi
take it out, take it apart, rebuild it, fire it back in if you have any luck it it will work again.... i did anyway.

check for a voltage on the permanent live connection at the starter, if you have a voltage there your good

check the starter signal. stick a multimeter on to the starter signal wire and put the ground onto the bell housing. get someone to throw the key round as if they were starting the car and if you you get 12v there its fine. if not the starter is buggered.

take the starter out and stick jump leads onto it, if it works, the starter itself is not the problem

pablo

RMS Moderator
I done the above, worked once then quit. I bought the cheapo one from ECP was only £55 odds. Job isnt handy access is a bitch but defo doable alright. There is a good guide on e46 fanatics.

Jonny-boy

Drives
Impreza
Make sure you have feed at the starter as the ignition switch can give bother on e46 it's common enough before you go to the bother of taking the starter out

pablo

RMS Moderator
i tested mine at the fusebox. got the wife to turn the key and could see the starter feed wire go live.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
OP
Sgt_Major
Drives
E81 123d
So started off with some multimeter readings, and the battery is putting out more than 19volts when the car is running.

With engine stopped, and all lights off, it is still reading at 16+ and climbs slowly back up to 19v

Might not be the starter afterall....

thefool1983

RMS Regular
So started off with some multimeter readings, and the battery is putting out more than 19volts when the car is running.

With engine stopped, and all lights off, it is still reading at 16+ and climbs slowly back up to 19v

Might not be the starter afterall....

That's very high - should be in the range of 12-15V IMO (assuming your multimeter is correct). Altenator possibly at fault....

hardc0re_tid

RMS Regular
Drives
Phat Almera GTi
is it deffo the battery thats putting out 16-19v. did you disconnect the batt completely and take a voltage directly from it.

alternator would be my next thing to check. can you disconnect the alt and try starting the car that way

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
OP
Sgt_Major
Drives
E81 123d
I hadn't disconnected it, just read off the terminals.

Tried it again today, and it's down in the 12.6 - 13.2 range, so I'm getting more confused lol.

Going to try reading from the starter motor terminals when I turn the key to see if it's getting power. Then disconnect the battery and start applying 12v straight to the motor.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.