Home Ceramic Coating

crx

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
Probably going to get shot down for this post but here goes! Between work and running about after the wee lad and his football I don't get the chance to keep the car as clean as I would like and was thinking of attempting a ceramic coating myself for ease of cleaning etc, overall the paintwork is in decent condition for 10 year car.

How hard is it to apply and any recommendations for a novice, I've been using various so called ceramic sprays but find they don't last any longer than a few weeks even when topped up. The colour in question is Moonson Grey if that makes any difference!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
The ceramic coating won't necessarily make it easier to clean, its main objective is to protect corrected paintwork

By applying a decent sealant/wax barrier to your paint will have as good as an affect as a car with a ceramic coat bar it having as flawless as possible paint underneath

Eg after 6 years, my ceramic coating had some minor swirls/marrs just from regular safe washing and use which got corrected last year again and now its back to its previous glory

But to answer your question, if you have a garage or enclosed shelter, work away. Not something I would like to do in the driveway (and I don't)

Reactions: crx

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
CarPro CQuartz coatings are fairly forgiving for home application.

Only issue that I can see is that the paint has to be fairly flawless before “locking it in” with a ceramic coating. Any swirls etc would be just as evident with a ceramic overlay

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Some need 24hrs to cure properly, so no rain on the forecast otherwise it spoils the ceramic coating.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I’ve looked into it before and basically it’s a no go. Needs a clean indoor area really to do it right you could probably do it in a garage.

As already said the paint needs to be well prepared too.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
How often do you get time to wash the car ?
I'd spend one weekend giving it a good de-tar, clay, polish and wax. Then use a good quick detailer as a drying aid every time you wash it thereafter (of if you don't dry your, car use a spray on/rinse off gloss product)
I've used Autofinesse Caramics a good few times now but it's on wheels so can't comment on the bodywork kit. I find it dead on, though I'd describe it as a really good sealant spray (which I think is really all the ceramic sprays are). Lasts pretty well in my opinion.

crx

RMS Regular
OP
crx
Drives
Honda
The car has been well maintained with very little swirls and weather permitting I would try to wash it most weekends, winter months it didn't get much other than a good pressure wash.....

I'll look at the carpro and Gyeon, found of the carpro stuff as I use the carpro essence and find it excellent.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
Gteqnic CSL and some evo over the top, 12hours inside and no washing for a week, can't go too far wrong.

Plenty of videos from the brand on how to do it, just small areas at a time.