Honda Engine Swaps...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Hey guys,later this year i am planning an engine swap into my 98 3 door civic.Im considering putting in a B18B from an Integra LS.Nice and cheap motor with good output.

My question,where do u guys know that is capable to take on such work? It can be a very tricky job especially the wiring of the loom etc.

So far i know Tunninworx on the Ballygowan Road can do it but i want to keep my options open.

Thanks lads!
:grinning:

PrimO

RMS Regular
The biggest problem your going to have is finding a B18B. The LS Integra is a US only car and the JDM variation of it (called an Integra ESi) is as rare as rocking horse poo on these shores...i have only ever seen 1 for sale since integras started being imported into ireland. Why not go for the B18C integra Si engine (DOHC VTEC) theyre easier to get and there are a load of tuning/aftermarket parts available for them.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
OP
Gibonz
Drives
W204
PrimO said:
The biggest problem your going to have is finding a B18B. The LS Integra is a US only car and the JDM variation of it (called an Integra ESi) is as rare as rocking horse poo on these shores...i have only ever seen 1 for sale since integras started being imported into ireland. Why not go for the B18C integra Si engine (DOHC VTEC) theyre easier to get and there are a load of tuning/aftermarket parts available for them.

Im gettin the engine imported from JDM sites in the US or canada.If my budget stretches ill get a B18C from a GSR teg.The b18B is cheap as chips with great output.145hp with 127lbs-ft.wud kill any b16a or b16b off the lights with all that torque.

The h22a is around the same price as the b18b but having to get specially fabricated axles etc puts the price up.plus,i dont think i cud get insured on one with a prelude 2.2 vtec in it!

Thumper

RMS Regular
reckon you would be better sticking with a B series vtec engine, by the time you import the engine and pay customs etc you would have a B18c1/5/6 setup stuck in. i have a B18c1 in my EG and it has bags of torque and plenty of pull.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
how much is it costing to get an engine imported? must be a few £££

Gibonz

RMS Regular
OP
Gibonz
Drives
W204
Thumper said:
reckon you would be better sticking with a B series vtec engine, by the time you import the engine and pay customs etc you would have a B18c1/5/6 setup stuck in. i have a B18c1 in my EG and it has bags of torque and plenty of pull.

Cool man,whered u get your B18C1 and who did the work for you? Wots your experience with the engine,how do u like it etc,how fast is it compared to other cars etc?

Cheers man!

Thumper

RMS Regular
Its as quick if not quicker than a Teg type R up to 100 and i've been in a hell of alot of tegs! i really like the c1, lots of torque down low, very driveable. I break Hondas part time so i got engine myself, have another one sitting there at the min.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
Gibonz said:
Im gettin the engine imported from JDM sites in the US or canada.If my budget stretches ill get a B18C from a GSR teg.The b18B is cheap as chips with great output.145hp with 127lbs-ft.wud kill any b16a or b16b off the lights with all that torque.

The h22a is around the same price as the b18b but having to get specially fabricated axles etc puts the price up.plus,i dont think i cud get insured on one with a prelude 2.2 vtec in it!

am correct me if im wrong, but do b16's not come with 168bhp and 143lb-ft of torque as standard, depending what gear box and gear ratio you get? which in fairness would eat your bigger engined shyer figured motor
also running an american market engine in this country will take a fair bit of work! for a start they run fuel evaporation systems andemmissions systems which are hard to buy pass and use charcoal cannisters, and stuff up rear near the tank, litterally meaning to get what you wanted you would be cheaper importing a whole car as opposed to parts, as you will be forever sending back and forth to america for the bits you will need!

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
and as for importing the parts, well lets put it like this on a £2200 quid supercharger there is 600 quids worth of importing and shipping duties, so assuming your paying the same for your engine and due to the added weight , expect to be paying an extra 1200 to 1500 to get it into this country!

PrimO

RMS Regular
Gibonz said:

It has 8ft/lbs of torque more than a B16a...but 20bhp less (theyre rated at 140bhp)and it's slightly heavier which will offset any torque difference. You wont even get near a B16b engined car and dont fool yourself into thinking you will, i doubt you'd even have a look in against a VTi...maybe you would beat him off at the lights but by the end of 2nd gear you'd be staring at his tail lights.
Get yourself a B16a or a B18C engine and use the money you will save on shipping an engine from the US on the extra cost of the Bseries vtec motor.

PrimO

RMS Regular
Theres a JDM ESi on ebay right now for a buy it now price of £100!!!! the only problem is its an Auto so you'd need to source a gearbox, loom and ECU for a manual car unless you wouldnt mind having an auto gearbox>>> Click

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.