How Hard Is This Vinyl Wrapping?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
It like the lower part of my steering when wrapped in that 3m dynoc due to some marks on it that annoy me beyond belief.

How hard is this to do? The bit with the m badge

I'd like to keep the m badge

This is the wheel

a43f8941.jpg

corsacj

RMS Regular
for a bit that size it would be deadly easy mate. make sure its ultra clean beforehand, no dust or anything, and press down gently working out air on the way accross. on a bit that size it would be hard to go too far wrong

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Lol, I'm going to attempting my grill in the next few days and haven't a notion where to start!

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I've a thread on this Chris as I done my own a while ago. Need to heat the vinyl to get a permanent result. I can give you a hand after work any evening.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
It's a gift mac I did the entire dashplate and doorcards of my last Vx in the stuff. Secret is heat, use a small hot air gun and it will stretch around almost any shape

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Yes or even when it is on - its easy. I have done my A3 grill and another as well as wrapping my engine cover.

Use heat and be patient.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Here is a picture of mine done Chris. I had a bit of peeling, so removed the entire surface coat and covered with the vinyl stuff.

5284f853-03a4-0ed9.jpg

pablo

RMS Moderator
I done mine its handy enough Mac. It lifted a little tho in the heat, its a bit of a stretch in places and its the first to go after a few hot days

1e4156e4.jpg

pablo

RMS Moderator
you gotta pop the airbag off then it comes off ok, few screws tho and fiddle with the little wiring loom.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
Yeah saxoman, yours looks well nice. And you were able to keep the M badge.

But don't like teh way Pabs has says it's the 1st to go after a few hot days, that would annoy me more, if it started slipping about.

@Chris, doesn't look to be much wrong with your wheel,lol.

pablo

RMS Moderator
it just lifts a bit on the tightly stretched bits.

M badge is prob same as mine, an ebay badge just stuck onto the vinyl.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I took the original M badge off the wheel and superglued it onto the vinyl.

My lifts in one place Pablo, needs a bit of heat every so often to shrink it back. But all the other tight corners are 100%. I found the more you heat it putting it on the less it needs actually stretched, and doesnt come off again. I used my gas cooker to provide a good source of heat and moved the sheet back and forth across the flame to get it supple before attempting to apply it to curved bits.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I
Great job Adam, where did you get the material from?

How did you go about the m badge

M-badge, carefully removed with scalpel and re-superglued on to wheel.

If you are only looking to do the wee M-badge bit I should have a wee bit spare to cover it, yours for 1p

pablo

RMS Moderator
another alternative is plastidip. Im going to remove the 3M from my 330 steering wheel and redo it OEM. Gone off 3M vinyl recently.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Very easy. I done my grill surrounds on my 530d in about 45 mins. Just take your time and use plenty of heat!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
For the grill did you cut a hole out in the middle first, or stick it on first then start cutting?

No bother with the edges lifting out in the elements?

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Di-Noc is great to work with. Working the material with a hairdryer helps big time...

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
OP
Chris Mac
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
@ Pablo, where did you get that gear knob, looks like something I might like my hand around.....

@ saxo man, that is a superb job Adam, I may need your services to get the same results!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.