Insurance question

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Kurisu

RMS Member
Drives
EP2 Civic
Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.

I'm 21, been driving 4 years this coming October. I have no history of claims but do have 3 points. I live in Belfast. Recently I bought a new car and wanted an EP3 but had to buy another EP2 due to insurance. The cheapest quote I got anywhere was 3200, that was third party fire & theft.

I know personally of a fella who lives near Ballymena who is 19 and insured in his own name on a EP3. I also know 4 fellas personally who are all 21/22 and insured on a EP3 for about 1500 per year.

Anyone able to figure out why my insurance is so high compared to the rest? I even changed my date of birth to 1991 which would make me 23 and the cheapest quote was 2400!

Even my girlfriend who is also 21 and hasn't even passed her test yet did a quote putting down she had just got her license and got a quote of 1300 on a EP3 in her own name! Only difference is she lives outside Magherafelt. Surely the fact I live in Belfast wouldnt raise the quote by 2 grand?

Kurisu

RMS Member
OP
Kurisu
Drives
EP2 Civic
I even did a quote where I changed my address to hers and it was still sky high

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Do you have anyone else on the policy? Add your mum or auntie or something as a named driver.

How many miles have you put down?

Is it parked on the street?

Occupation?

Excess?

Kurisu

RMS Member
OP
Kurisu
Drives
EP2 Civic
Yep I have my Mum down as a named driver
She has 8 years no claims bonus.
5000 miles.
No parked in driveway
Occupation is baker
Excess is £250

EP82JM

RMS Regular
**** me thats wild! Id my first one at 20 and insurance was around a grand, my second one at 21 and it was 700. That was with 3 years driving and 2 no claims at the time.

Kurisu

RMS Member
OP
Kurisu
Drives
EP2 Civic
Ive been driving near 4 years but dont have any no claims bonus cause this is my first year under my own name. But as I said my girlfriend put in a quote saying she had her license less than a year so obviously 0 years no claims and her quote was 1300! So because I live in Belfast I pay 2 grand more? I dont even live in a bad area, theres never any hijackings or burgarlies etc where I live.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Aged 25 with 7 years NCB and living in Omagh (not exactly a high risk area) I'm still getting quotes of £750-£800 for an EP3 which explains why I've never owned any such jap scrap :confounded:

Last edited:

chrismisk

RMS Regular
Drives
S13 road/S12 trk
Zero no claims, points, parked on the road and living in Belfast be lucky to get anything less I would imangine

Kurisu

RMS Member
OP
Kurisu
Drives
EP2 Civic
It's probably the lowest risk area in Belfast though. Im like a mile and a half from Carryduff. Yeah i did, it was like over 4 grand if I remember right, then when I put my mum down as named driver it dropped to 3200. Ive tried everywhere inc making phonecalls and thats the cheapest I've got.

chrismisk

RMS Regular
Drives
S13 road/S12 trk
It's still a Belfast postcode though so that will increase it esp through go compare etc as they will most likely be English companies and more than likely just see Belfast as a whole might have more luck with local companies, but the having no no claims and points will be a big thing and trying to insure something that is quite high on stolen/crashed list won't help

Kurisu

RMS Member
OP
Kurisu
Drives
EP2 Civic
It just seems unbelieveable how they can quote me that much but others who live outside of Belfast who are younger than me with far less experience can insure an EP3. Makes me sick lol

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
182 Clio @ 21 with 5 points and a massive claim against me was 900ish with all mods declared. 10k mileage allowance I think with that. 3 years NCB though

Kurisu

RMS Member
OP
Kurisu
Drives
EP2 Civic
Speeding. Caught by a camera doing 36 in a 30 at 4.30am on a Saturday morning lol.

Ev206

RMS Regular
Your problem is you only have 3 years named driving experience, this if you are going through any local broker can be used with a few underwriters such as Axa or Aviva, Axa will let you use the 3 years driving experience as equivalent ncb if the car is under group 24 (not an ep3). Aviva will let you use the 3 years on any car but are very postcode sensitive which could be your issue. Send me your details and I can have a look for you tomorrow if you want.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I'd say your lack of ncb in your own name is the big killer here, really best going in your own name from the start and putting up with a 1.0 for a few years.

EP2

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic Type R FN2
See I dont get insurance, my insurance is cheaper than any of my friends. Im 22, 3 years driving, 1 NCB, no points, and I can insure a EP3 for £820, S14a with £2k worth of mods declared for £780 and a R33 Skyline GTST for £712, all 3rd party...

Yet if I try to insure an EP2 civic its about £1200???

Im with Adrian Flux BTW

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.