Is A Working Speedo Required For Mot

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Just getting a new import through MOT and as with imports it only reads in km/hour.

So, after a bit of digging i find this

Reg 36 Motor Vehicle Construction and Use Act 1986

If fitted in compliance with the Regs then to be kept free from obstruction preventing it being easily read and shall at all "material times" be maintained in good working order.

"Material times" means when the vehicle is used on a road except:
When speedo becomes defective during a current journey, 0r
Defect present and steps have been taken to have speedo replaced/repaired with reasonable expedition.

big cyril

RMS Regular
So it works but only shows kph?

This was up before - IIRC some folks had problems getting a car with kph only clocks through although I got by with kph clocks for over three years with no mention at MOT time.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Construction and Use is not the same as MOT requirements.

Construction and Use would override any MOT checks as that is the legal rules for cars etc.

A working speedo here is required for MOT, and it must have the ability to display both mph and kph.

That said, there is a good chance a speedo that isnt working will not get noticed at MOT as the vehicle is never driven or moved quick enough for it to actually work.
Although if the odomoter trip is at zero, that would raise suspicion if they see it.

biffy.2008

RMS Regular
Drives
yaris t-sport
my previous car passed mot with the speedo not working, the cable had came out and the car wasnt being used regularly so never bothered getting it fixed before mot, and it passed lol. they didnt notice

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
it must have the ability to display both mph and kph.
Exactly, regardless of anything else!

They might notice the needle not rising at the brake test, but could fluke it too. No obvious wires behind the clocks or the speed sensor down at the gearbox looking a bit ropey?

RCT

RMS Regular
So it works but only shows kph?

This was up before - IIRC some folks had problems getting a car with kph only clocks through although I got by with kph clocks for over three years with no mention at MOT time.

It's something like from 1984 on it has to display both, well thats what a tester told me. I have to keep changing the clocks on the old m3 for mot everytime to base model ones due to kph only. I have another car with a 'sticker' on it but tbh the speedo reading is crap and way out that it is a pain in the hole. At least with the original kph I know exactly what speed im doing. This doesn't seem to be as much of an issue on the mainland however from what I have heard.

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The above only seems to apply if the vehicle has been SVA'd, which most imports here wont have

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Over here your speedo mush display MPH and KPH or else it will fail its MOT

However the speedo doesnt actually have to work as i have mot'd a car twice now and even have asked an examiner if it is needed, strange one lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Over here your speedo mush display MPH and KPH or else it will fail its MOT

However the speedo doesnt actually have to work as i have mot'd a car twice now and even have asked an examiner if it is needed, strange one lol

It does have to work, but during the test the wheels should never rotate fast enough that it would work.. Oddly, in England the speedo doesnt even get a mention on their test schedule.

MOT2 here.

http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/Freedom of ...nspection Manual/Speedometer - Tachogragh.pdf

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Dual marking is part of the test in Mainland UK, but just not enforced

Dual marking are required unless stated on the V5 that the vehicle was SVA / IVA approved at time of import

All this info and more can be found in the testers manual, I believe there is a sticky in the legal section under my name with the linky

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I
Dual marking is part of the test in Mainland UK, but just not enforced

Dual marking are required unless stated on the V5 that the vehicle was SVA / IVA approved at time of import

All this info and more can be found in the testers manual, I believe there is a sticky in the legal section under my name with the linky

I posted the link above.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.