Is it just baked brake dust?

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
Hi, folks. Pretty sure that this is baked on brake dust but I’ve never had it as badly baked on as on my Skoda Superb, pictured! I’ve tried Iron Out from Autofinese but it’s not shifting during normal washing. Definitely feels rough to the touch. On parts of only my rear alloys. Fronts not so affected. 11 months old car. Is it only brake pad dust and if so what do I need to use to get it off.

Attachments

• IMG_9043.jpeg
    IMG_9043.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 0

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
I use autoglyms acid wheel cleaner in the pro range for that type of stuff. Clears it in no time when you clean with a wheel brush

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
OP
A
I use autoglyms acid wheel cleaner in the pro range for that type of stuff. Clears it in no time when you clean with a wheel brush
Thank you
An acid wheel cleaner should shift that, but it may also be tar based given the state of the roads. A clay bar would also help
I’d tried Autofinese ObliTARate but will give it another run over.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Hi, folks. Pretty sure that this is baked on brake dust but I’ve never had it as badly baked on as on my Skoda Superb, pictured! I’ve tried Iron Out from Autofinese but it’s not shifting during normal washing. Definitely feels rough to the touch. On parts of only my rear alloys. Fronts not so affected. 11 months old car. Is it only brake pad dust and if so what do I need to use to get it off.

Brake buster would be my go to wheel cleaner, I’m yet to find something to beat it.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Bilt Hamber Auto-wheel, has won best wheel cleaning product for a good few years. Literally spray on and leave for a minute or two then wash off. Don't let it dry in though. Used it plenty before, very impressed with it and bought 5L drum from wholesaler.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
I bought a set of wheels years ago and had something similar, nothing would shift it. Even had it at a mate who details.

Turns out the guy i bought them off had run them at a track day with the brake pads on the metal so it was actually molten metal i was trying to remove lol