Just bought a car in England. Registration and Cherished plate issues?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Hi everyone.

I'm looking a bit of help here as I'm properly confused.

I've just bought a car from a dealer in England. It currently has a cherished plate on it and the dealer has sent the registration forms to Swansea to be transferred to a 58 plate.

I have to drive my car over to do the trade in but my car is also on a cherished plate that I want to keep and transfer to the new car.

I'm totally confused about what to do with registration and also transfer of my cherished plate.

My first thoughts are to put my cherished plate on retention and apply for my current car to be transferred to a normal NI numberplate. Drive it over to England, pick up the new car on it's 58 plate, bring it home and apply for my cherished plate to be put on the new one along with registration to Coleraine. Is this possible or will I have to jump through lots of hoops? Do we do retentions over here or does it have to be transferred from vehicle to vehicle?

I'm flying over to England tomorrow to get a look at it so if I need to give anything to the dealer it would speed things along.

Ta (y)

boy_racer996

B
pretty sure there is no retention over here, think it has to go from vehicle to vehicle. Can you not hold off to the car you are buying is re-registered, then apply for the transfer from your current car to your new one?

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Are Swansea or Coleraine combined now or still two seperate agencies?

boy_racer996

B
"Due to the fact that the UK DVLA Swansea offices and the offices of the DVLNI in Coleraine, Northern Ireland were developed under separate parliaments their vehicle registrations systems have always been separate (although similar).Plans are now well underway to integrate the two together which should not only save money for the Government but hopefully also lead to a simpler number plates transfer process between the two offices. Presently the transfer process is quite complex, often giving rise to the payment of a separate £80 transfer fee to each office and thus substantially increasing the cost of transferring an Irish Number Plate.
Transfer times are also more than double those which are normally the case from vehicle to vehicle on the UK mainland."

im guessing still separate?

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
"Due to the fact that the UK DVLA Swansea offices and the offices of the DVLNI in Coleraine, Northern Ireland were developed under separate parliaments their vehicle registrations systems have always been separate (although similar).Plans are now well underway to integrate the two together which should not only save money for the Government but hopefully also lead to a simpler number plates transfer process between the two offices. Presently the transfer process is quite complex, often giving rise to the payment of a separate £80 transfer fee to each office and thus substantially increasing the cost of transferring an Irish Number Plate.
Transfer times are also more than double those which are normally the case from vehicle to vehicle on the UK mainland."

im guessing still separate?

Cheers mucker.

This sounds like it's gonna get frustrating tho :mad:

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A7
You will just have to wait until the car is registered in NI in your name with the plate that the dealer gives you. Then its a simple £80 transfer to put your plate on. No retention certs in NI unless its a plate that has been newly issued by the DVA and never been on a car (the likes of the plates you buy at wilsons auctions- you can keep on retention as long as you want for £25 a year). Your cherished plate will have to stay on the car you trade in until you have the new car registered in your name and ready for your plate in NI. Talk to the dealer about keeping the tax book so you keep full rights to the plate and then can do the transfer asap when everything is sorted with your new car.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.