Knocking noise (Renault Clio)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

M@tt B

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx S14
On the way to ai on saturday i hit a bit of a pothole, couldnt avoid it and didnt really notice it until it was already there. Car now seems to knock when driving slowly <20mph. The pot hole hit the passenger side but the noise is either from middle or drivers side of the car.
Noticed it badly this morn just in traffic on the way to uni where was moving slowly. Anyone have any ideas what i should check, i dont really want to drive much on it encase it gets worse. Car drives normally apart from the knocking and the car in question is a 02 Clio. Doubt its a broken spring or shock seeing the pothole hide the far side of the car that the noise is coming from.

Was told maybe driveshaft or CV joint, possible bushes? Trying to get someone to look at it for me tonight but not having much luck, need the car for going to uni. Anyone have any ideas what i should check or get checked. Thanks, Matt

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
sounds more like you've bust a wheel bearing on that side if so get it checked pronto to prevent an accident mate (y)

M@tt B

RMS Regular
OP
M@tt B
Drives
200sx S14
sounds more like you've bust a wheel bearing on that side if so get it checked pronto to prevent an accident mate (y)

Done a wheel bearing in before and it sounds completely different

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Sounds more like a bush, maybe the bottom arm bushes? That would explain the why its bad in start stop traffic as the bottom arm will move back when you take off and forward when you stop.

Bearings just give you a drone when driving.

Noel McQ

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS
Possibly broken a track rod end? happened me before after hitting a pothole too hard!

garyhoker

RMS Regular
Drives
honda
lol

if it was a broken track rod end you would have no steering as the track rod end is attached to steering rack [ doh]^o)^o)

M@tt B

RMS Regular
OP
M@tt B
Drives
200sx S14
Cheers, will check a few hopefully tonight. I hope its nothing major lol

RevT

RMS Regular
Ball joint, or this may sound stupid but you may have broke a part of the actual steering rack. My bets are on steering rack. Does it mainly do it when you take off or driving slowly and just touch the accelerator?

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
1st thing first. Have you checked the wheel nuts? Give them all a good tighten.
2nd. Take the car to a car park or large open space. Stop, place it in 1st gear, full lock on steering wheel and gently apply the throttle, if knocking is heard its most likely a CV joint.
If neither or the above get it straight to a mechanics

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
or maybe its just the fact its french, their as soft as a pillow :p

M@tt B

RMS Regular
OP
M@tt B
Drives
200sx S14
Went up seen cro tonight, no knocking on full lock and doesnt seem be wheel nuts. I think he's thinking something to do with the driveshaft but will get a better look tomorrow.

@clio_T yes thats it exactly

RevT

RMS Regular
Steering rack my man, happened me before and thought it was a balljoint or other steering component for ages but ended up I needed a new steering rack.

It wasn't making any noise at all at higher speeds but when I touched the accelerator to take off it would knock and so on until I got up to speed a bit.

M@tt B

RMS Regular
OP
M@tt B
Drives
200sx S14
Steering rack my man, happened me before and thought it was a balljoint or other steering component for ages but ended up I needed a new steering rack.

It wasn't making any noise at all at higher speeds but when I touched the accelerator to take off it would knock and so on until I got up to speed a bit.

Great yes thats what it sounds like, how much did that set you back?

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
ball joint is most likely and not too expensive... as for the knocking when lifting off the accelerator etc I wouldnt be surprised if it was a strut top

M@tt B

RMS Regular
OP
M@tt B
Drives
200sx S14
ball joint is most likely and not too expensive... as for the knocking when lifting off the accelerator etc I wouldnt be surprised if it was a strut top

Strut tops seem secure but will check it again tonight

RevT

RMS Regular
Cost me around £38 if I remember correctly but I bought a cheap brand steering rack and I got it near enough cost price as I work in a Motor Factors (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.