Leather finish - from shiny to matt

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Is there any handy and safe way of removing a shiny sheen from leather and restoring it to the original matt finish? Previous owner of my car obviously liked his leather to shine a lot and must have cleaned it with something which left it very shiny. This looks grand but I personally prefer the matt finish, and I also prefer the seats a little less slippy. I've seen a thread on a USA car forum ages ago where a guy used something to take the sheen off the dash and seats of a car he had purchased, but I can't find the thread now. I'm wary of using something too strong which may remove the leather dye or damage the seats.

All advice appreciated

pablo

RMS Moderator
ive stuff Gaz you can try a bit of, liquid leather I think its called. its 2 stage cleaner then conditioner. The cleaner should hopefully take the old stuff off.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Autosmarts leather care leaves a lovely matt finish on the leather!!

If you are in belfast this afternoon I can meet you and lend you mine for a trial?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Aye I use that stuff too Pablo, cleans leather brilliantly.

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
@ Pablo - no need for a sample, I'll take your word for it if it works - who sells it though? Would like to buy a full bottle.

@ Boydie - I'll look into that too, however does it clean the leather first? I presume whatever layer of stuff is currently on the seats needs to be removed first

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
So just Gliptone by the sounds of it? Do I need to add anything beforehand or afterwards to condition it etc?

Amos

RMS Regular
Drives
What ever is in
Gliptone do a cleaner, and a conditioner..... BUT the conditioner might make the leather shiny again, it just depends on the leather...

But for the sake of the cost, get both... Oh and a soft nail brush to really clean the seats....

"clean your car", sells it all....

Cheers

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Ignore my last post, just read up on it and it seems 2 Gliptone products do everything. Sounds like good stuff.

Managed to buy a bottle of the cleaner and a bottle of the conditioner (250ml each) for £8.99 all in on ebay

PJS

RMS Regular
Your leather won't need the "conditioner" - like your paintwork, it has a clearcoat protective layer over the colour.
All that'll get through it is water molecules, not the emollients and other 'beneficial' oils and whatnot.

Spend 5 mins and chat with the young lady at Leather Care Products | Leather Furniture Repair if you want to learn the truth about modern car seat leather - and by modern, I'm referring to the last 10-12 years.

PJS

RMS Regular
No lecture - information to understand that a lot of conditioners on the market are unnecessary for car seats, with their emollients, etc, trapping dirt debris making it effectively sandpaper.
The link above is where you'll get a protector which enhances the clearcoating on the leather, in much the same manner as a wax/sealant enhances the protection of the paintwork that bit more than leaving the clearcoat to do all the work.

You should by now Pablo - I can't abide seeing FUD being spread, just because that's the way other members have always done things, and never looked beyond that.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned baby wipes as a remedy for cleaning the leather - unless that's reserved just for alcantara!

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I've 2 barely used bottles of the Gliptone stuff here if anyone wants it.

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I'd have taken one Gee but just ordered and paid for one before lunch there :worried:

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
My Gliptone arrived today. Some people recommend using a small brush to work the leather, what kind of brush would be suitable - is a nail brush too harsh?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
nail brush will be fine Gaz, but I also use like a soft-ish pastry brush for getting into deeper cracks and crevices with my Gliptone
tool012.jpg

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Good call, will get me one of those today.

£8.95 for the cleaner & conditioner ..... can't be dear!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.