Lexan polycarbonate

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
We stock lexan and can be cut to shape. We usually sell to the trade though (By the sheet-Usually 8 by 4). Ring for a quote
028 9066 8358 Ask for Conor, tell him Brian in the warehouse sent you along

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Actually I'll have a look for you in the off-cuts rack now as on my break. What thickness were you after?

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Are you just doing the side windows or all round? Probably be better with a full sheet in that case as offcuts will be too small. Off top of my head. 3mm thick 8by4 sheet will set you back around ~75 5mm will be 120ish. Prices will prob be a little lower but gives you a rough idea

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
All 5 windows, not doing front window, ill measure tonight and let you know.

Is it easy to bend, i was going to try and place it over my old glass and heat to mould to shape and then cut around the edge

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
^^Thats the best way to do it. I done two rear windows for the mini, although they didnt need shaped tbh.

BigPete on here done the same to his mini, he might have even done the rear window (Which is curved) it would be worth a PM to him.

geoffo

RMS Regular
Drives
bmx
lexan is the ticket for this job, i done them for the "ds auto's" astra thats why they are taped in lol!

measure twice - cut once!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Dude, we shaped our lexan windows by using a workshop heater

Lay the original glass down, with an oversized piece of lexan on top of it, heat slowly from a distance until it takes shape, then trim to fit

Cheapest option by far, but it is time consuming

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Nah Porter not for MotoGlass
You have the right idea. Lexan/Marlon (we hold more stock of marlon) gear is easy to shape and very good properties for this kinda thing. Marlon more so. I think it can be heated and hold its shape better when cooled down than lexan. We used to do the process with an old office cabinet. Cut a slit at the top just thick enough to slide the plastic piece in (tongs or something wider at top to prevent it falling through). Another hole at the bottom where we put our industrial space heater and allow the cabinet to fill with heat. DOn't melt it like but heat it just enough to take it out and place over the original glass, allow to cool. Same as NineK's method but much quicker as the heat is concentrated in one area.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.