Maintaining Exhaust Tips

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I have chrome tips on the TT, but due to the fact the car gets washed twice a year the tips are always black with soot when I come to clean them and the stuff doesn't budge with standard car soap. I end up taking wet and dry sandpaper to get rid of it, but the same thing happens come the next wash.

Is there any polish/wax I can put on the tips to help protect them, and make it a bit easier to remove the soot?

I assume my standard Meguiars stage 3 polishing kit (:cool:) wouldn't do the job? Is something special needed that would stand up to the heat?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Wire wool like mad with some autosol then buff with a micro fibre - should lift the majority!

moorsojr

RMS Regular
Drives
320D M Sport
i find autosol a little too abrasive, it can dull polished metal, although if you have been doing it with sand paper you probably arent too fussed. my vote would be for Mothers mag and aluminium polish, thats what i use on the accord and cant fault it.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah that's the stuff. A good buff brings them up like new. I wouldn't want to use anything harsher than that on the GTI tips as they seem to be plated.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Autosol is great for cleaning, but it won't keep them clean. That's where the sealant comes in.

That's my combo. Autosol and FK1000p. Works a treat and lasts for months.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yeah that's the stuff. A good buff brings them up like new. I wouldn't want to use anything harsher than that on the GTI tips as they seem to be plated.

Aye, the TT ones are too I think. I daren't imagine the damage I've done by sanding them :worried:.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Where do you get FK1000p? That's the thing that annoys me about the tips. Couple of weeks later and they need rebuffing.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Might give this a go to seal the polished rims on the M3 and the miltek tips.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Jeepers, it's dear enough!

And it's a massive tin that lasts for ever. If you're just using it for exhaust tips, ideally you could buy a tin between two or three people and share it out.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
@Lyons, my old bean. Just how black are they at the minute? How would you like me to give you, for a free trial a wonder product which will clean them like new, with practically no effort?!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I would've liked that more 4 minutes ago, I've just bought some Autosol :p.

But yes, I'm all for product development etc so would be happy to oblige :innocent:.

Use of the F word helped too.

And they are black, no chrome in sight.

C4L

RMS Regular
I use autosol every so often then apply rim wax (a wheel wax/sealant as its more durable than normal wax), it seems to keep it nice and soot free for longer even though you would think it would burn off :/ But it helps maintain it in my experience

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.