Merc Vito Experience???????

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Has anyone got any experience of the W638 Merc Vito Vans?

Any common faults apart from rust?

Fuel Consumption?

Driver Feel?

Anything helpful much appreciated.

Pete

boy_racer996

B
dads had near 500k on it, still going strong, original turbo, everything,even the original battery! just general wear and tear! the higher bhp one was the one he had, 114 is it?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
OP
PeteMoore
113 i think dude, not sure, only started looking at them tonight

Got offered one tonight, and just cant turn it down as I want another van. Its actually a 7/9 seater but i want to use it for work and of course camping in as and when it is required.

All it needs is a good clean, a buff to remove the ghosts from stickers/signwriting and throw it through mot. Currently has nearly 180k on it, but i have heard plenty of stories involving very very high mileage ones.

mad mike 212

RMS Regular
Drives
Strawberry Milks
Brakes are a pain to change when they need replaced and some clunk gears changing from 1st to 2nd apart from that i dont know anything else.

boy_racer996

B
could be 113, i cant remember, great van, pleanty of life left in it at 180k

Storm

Banned
horrible horrible vans.

my work had 2 of them and they were just pants

gearboxes are very crunchy, electrics give up very easily, brakes are like cheese.

50,000 miles and they felt like they were ready to be scrapped

if you want a decent well put together van then try and find yourself a vauxhall vivaro or equivelent renault traffic/nissan primastar, they are all french iirc and they are very well built, highly specc'd, all round a much nicer place to be, better loading area to the vito and the new ones go like stink!!!

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
horrible horrible vans.

my work had 2 of them and they were just pants

gearboxes are very crunchy, electrics give up very easily, brakes are like cheese.

50,000 miles and they felt like they were ready to be scrapped

if you want a decent well put together van then try and find yourself a vauxhall vivaro or equivelent renault traffic/nissan primastar, they are all french iirc and they are very well built, highly specc'd, all round a much nicer place to be, better loading area to the vito and the new ones go like stink!!!

Use Renault engines but a lot of the parts are GM supplied and they are built in Luton. Great van (y)

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
OP
PeteMoore
Thanks very much folks

The problem is my budget goes as far as taking this as payment for work I have done.

As such it would be quite a cheap van, its had one owner from new and has a full MB service history.

I have had a Vauxhall Vivaro before as a work van and i absolutely LOVE them, closest thing to a car IMO when it comes to van driving.

My main attraction to this Vito (aside the price) is that it runs the same floorpan/chassis as the T4 Volkswagen, and although they are prone to rust, I am well used to rotten old VW campers and equally rotten MG's, so I have no fear in throwing fresh tin at it should it need any.

Just wanting a reliable wee van that will tow our competition cars and carry enough tools and spares for a weekend rallying and maybe even allow a little sleeping room ontop of it all

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.