Mk1 MX5 engine swaps

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Learn something new every day. Always thought the MK1, 2 and 2.5 were comparable and couldn't understand why everyone kept banging on about them (all mk's). Must get a rip in a Mk1 to see how good they are (y)

Oh, and the hard tops are 100% exactly the same too.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
This thread got me thinking so i was googling RB25 conversions there. Seems there too big and heavy:

RB25/26 into miata - MX-5 Miata Forum

I've always fancied one for a bit of cheap summer fun, but after reading the comments above about them i'm in two minds now. I'm just really itching to get something into the garage to play with and fancy doing another RB25 build an all :grinning:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Had one of them a while ago and it was just a rust bucket tbh. I know some of the MX5's are bad for it, but the import ones seem clean enough. Plus most of the S13's demand 'drift' premiums now, if they havent been drifted already :worried:

PhilM

RMS Regular
i can understand with your budget that you are writing big engine swaps off.

which is perfect if your wanting to buy and drive. but if you think that say buying a mx5 and blowing it with something that will actually produce some brown trouser power you will end up spending as much as sticking in an engine that can handle some boost in the first place.

kp starlet? with a 3sgte?
mx5 13b rotary?
mr2 turbo (2k so a wee touch expensive) but you could run 300/350hp through it without much bother.

Phil

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Cannot imagine a big heavy engine would do an MX5 any favours.

MX5 were really popular on track a few years ago, seem to have disappeared though. Went well, but the turbo ones never seemed to last a whole day.

There is still a race series for Mk1 MX5, so should be plenty of track bits to find.

MR2 is not a bad idea, have seen a few of them around on track recently.

As for handling, any 10-year-old car will handle like a boat on track without a good suspension upgrade, bushes, etc.

To be honest Paul, I think you would be disappointed with anything in that budget range.

Wait until you can get what you really want (we know what that is :p).

In the meantime, Coogs off-road idea is not a bad one!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Quality info there Paul, cheers!

So which engine is the best to turbo/supercharge then, and which is the preferred? Turbo or supercharger? And whats a rough idea on cost?

Just curious as i've always wanted one as a bit of a project!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Wow, cheers for all that info, you certainly know your stuff!!!

Whats the best MX5 forum? mx5nutz?

s13rab

RMS Regular
ive a 91 jap mx5 as a weekend car and i swear they are a great wee car,yes its no ball of fire but wind it and and keep it lite and you will have class crack.you can turbo them for a lot less than 1500 lad

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Lol, cheers Paul. Was on mx5oc and they all seemed to not like any mods at all :eek:, and then stumbled upon the mx5nutz website and thought they were a bit more down to earth.

Havent registered on any yet, was just browsing! Will have a look at them other 2 you suggested (y)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Going to look at an MX5 on sat with a duffed engine. Just wondering what options I have to replace it?

There is a 140bhp 1.8 MX5 engine which would make an obvious candidate. But are they pricey/hard to get?

Any info appreciated. Also open to non MX5 engines but would need to be relatively straightforward not really open to a big project.

Sensible answers only please, no mad suggestions like supra TTs etc ;)

Ta

I'd say you would massively struggle to undertake any "different" engine sway within th £1500 budget. By time you buy the different parts, make them fit, any wiring/ecu changes etc....that will soon add massive cost.

Although a n/a rotary setup can make a lot of power from a very compact lightweight engine. I'm sure 2-300bhp would be a doddly with the right engine, and for track use...it would put a v-tec to shame the way it would rev.

Although I guess on that basis too...hunting around for a solid RX-7 would be handier as it already has an engine in it, and use that instead. Unless you want a convertible ? Although older RX-7's tend to rust a lot.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.