Motorbike parking - Belfast City Centre

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
I'm due to attend a training course from Monday-Wednesday next week in Upper Arthur Street and would just like to clarify what the position is with parking the bike? I have seen plenty of people just leave them on (wide) pavements with seemingly no problems however I have never really understood the law either formal or unwritten about where you can and can't leave it!

Perhaps Blackie can also help what with being in the business!

Hel

RMS Regular
Park it by other bikes and youll not go far wrong.

Best bet is to park underground (for free and security monitored) in the adelaide exchange. Its only a 2min jaunt from you.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Bring a chain or a motorbike disc lock, seen many a bike walked through the town by theiving little scumbags

Kerzo

RMS Regular
OP
Kerzo
Drives
Leon FR
Park it by other bikes and youll not go far wrong.

Best bet is to park underground (for free and security monitored) in the adelaide exchange. Its only a 2min jaunt from you.

Oh I didn't know that - you can definitely just tootle up to here? Presume you have to pay for a car?

Hel

RMS Regular
Just go round the barrier, its only 3/4 length. Loads of bikes park there. Pick a bike spot at the sides. Should make sense when you go down there.

Security guards are sound, even ask them about it themselves. The rule is that if the barrier doesnt have to go up, you dont have to pay and theres lots of room.

2quid/hour for car matey

Kerzo

RMS Regular
OP
Kerzo
Drives
Leon FR
Just go round the barrier, its only 3/4 length. Loads of bikes park there. Pick a bike spot at the sides. Should make sense when you go down there.

Security guards are sound, even ask them about it themselves. The rule is that if the barrier doesnt have to go up, you dont have to pay and theres lots of room.

2quid/hour for car matey

Great stuff, cheers for the info - sounds like a winner to me!

Hel

RMS Regular
Great stuff, cheers for the info - sounds like a winner to me!

It really is hard to beat. Its 2quid/hour for a reason. Prime location and secure with guards walking about and lots of cams, nevermind dry and warm for the bike throughout the year. Top spot.

There was a moped stolen 2 years ago but havent heard much since. The security folk gave me a heads up just to be sure to whack a disc lock on the bike as they were in and out in minutes before they could react.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
OP
Kerzo
Drives
Leon FR
I don't actually have one (as it is always garaged and not a commuter), I have a bicycle lock though so will use that - won't stop the serious criminal but hopefully make the recreational opportunistic thief think twice!

Hel

RMS Regular
I don't actually have one (as it is always garaged and not a commuter), I have a bicycle lock though so will use that - won't stop the serious criminal but hopefully make the recreational opportunistic thief think twice!

I used a regular heavy duty padlock, probably not the best but same as yourself- didnt have a disc lock. Should keep the opportunist with a screwdriver away indeed :grinning:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Where's the underground at Adelaide Exchange :confounded: I can think of steel fencing type thing down more near the Ormeau Ave on the left hand side but thats it :confounded:

As for parking, i cant find the exact link where i read it before, but basics are you can park on the footpath where there are no other road restrictions or parking bays, plus as long as the footpath is wide enough that you are not causing an obstruction for pedestrians which would be the biggie.

Hopefully Blackie or avo5021 can clarify though :grinning:

Hel

RMS Regular
Where's the underground at Adelaide Exchange :confounded: I can think of steel fencing type thing down more near the Ormeau Ave on the left hand side but thats it :confounded:

As for parking, i cant find the exact link where i read it before, but basics are you can park on the footpath where there are no other road restrictions or parking bays, plus as long as the footpath is wide enough that you are not causing an obstruction for pedestrians which would be the biggie.

Hopefully Blackie or avo5021 can clarify though :grinning:

IFjFzAm.jpg

vFrK4x0.jpg

Adam

RMS Regular
Im considering commuting to Belfast on the bike when I move back to NI. Has anyone tried parking here recently? It sounds ideal!

Steve C

RMS Regular
I just spoke to a traffic warden about parking the motorbike in town. He told me that I can pretty much park anywhere and not worry about a ticket, even in roadside pay and display spots or at the side of the office. I'm not 100% convinced but will test this out over the next few weeks.

Adam

RMS Regular
I just spoke to a traffic warden about parking the motorbike in town. He told me that I can pretty much park anywhere and not worry about a ticket, even in roadside pay and display spots or at the side of the office. I'm not 100% convinced but will test this out over the next few weeks.

Did you have any joy with that?

Adam

RMS Regular
Cool Im thinking of parking by the courts as hopefully it should be a bit safer there. Just need to wait on the weather to get a bit better!

Steve C

RMS Regular
Cool Im thinking of parking by the courts as hopefully it should be a bit safer there. Just need to wait on the weather to get a bit better!

I've a disc lock on the front and a chain around the back wheel. You should be fine around the courts. Traffic wardens seem to ignore motorbikes. Sod the weather, it beats sitting in traffic. Get some waterproof gear and you'll be good to go.

Adam

RMS Regular
Id love to ride now but unfortunately the back road I live on at the minute is covered in ice these days as I leave at 6 in the morning and I don't fancy binning it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.