N57 - Engine Knock

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Have an N57 Twin Turbo which out of the blue has developed an engine knock. Driving along, no issues, no warnings and it just came on. No errors or anything showing.

I'm assuming its decided to chew the bearings.

Engines on 98k - Main Dealer BMW serviced it 4 weeks/less than 1000 miles ago.

Would be worth getting onto them about it?

Is it worth trying to rebuild?

Ballache, cheers!

Last edited:

WSK

RMS Regular
OP
WSK
Drives
R
Update: Got an oil analysis done.. Seems to hint the oil is old / wasnt changed.. Wonder how accurate they are in terms of age etc..

1696322991052.png

dddrrift

RMS Regular
cant see any benefit to a main dealer hoodwinking you for a drop of oil during a routine service, so id probably dismiss that unless your analysis was absolutely black and white. Whats the rest of the history like? long service intervals or every 10k or less? Have you owned it from new? What year is the car? Mapped or not?

at 100k miles id say you havnt a hope of goodwill from the dealer. Id probably stop wasting money on oil tests and start looking for a replacement engine, no amount of analysis will bring your crank back lol

could try throwing a set of shells in if the crank looks ok and you stopped running it good and early. Is just a shot in the dark though.

WSK

RMS Regular
OP
WSK
Drives
R
Agreed!! Oil analysis was done for ****s and giggles really, but its interesting... 2 Owner - FSH(Mixed) - Intervals 15k (BMW Schedule which is *****) - New to me - Not mapped - 2013. Seems bearings going is fairly common in them tbh.

40D engine aren't too easy to find at sensible money - but think i found one locally yesterday in fact!

Thought about fixing my own - i'll have a look when i get it out next weekend hopefully! Fun times lol

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Agreed!! Oil analysis was done for ****s and giggles really, but its interesting... 2 Owner - FSH(Mixed) - Intervals 15k (BMW Schedule which is *****) - New to me - Not mapped - 2013. Seems bearings going is fairly common in them tbh.

40D engine aren't too easy to find at sensible money - but think i found one locally yesterday in fact!

Thought about fixing my own - i'll have a look when i get it out next weekend hopefully! Fun times lol
15k service interval is brutal in my opinion, but shouldnt have caused that sort of failure you would think.

10 year old car now, BMW wouldnt even give you a cup of tea to talk that one over.

As far as i was aware the 30d and the 40d are the same basic engine, the 50d is different internally, but i could be wrong. Part number exercise sorting that out on realoem.com

Not changing air/fuel/pollen filters id believe. Apparently they can 'blow them out' if still in serviceable condition. oil and filter change id expect though.

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
Dealers, motor factors, most garages etc are 5w30 in the brain (most have a 205L barrel priced to the last £) l. As said above 15k intervals are brutal in a engine like that. Ok up to 60k I suppose.

5w40 and 10k max, my opinion.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
cancel that....

30d engine code is N57N, 40d is N57Z and 50d is N57X, with the 50d using a different piston and rod according to part numbers at the very least

Reactions: WSK

WSK

RMS Regular
OP
WSK
Drives
R
I think my engine is N57D30B as its an E70 X5 - A breaker told me it has an extra turbo drain in the block that the 30d doesn't have.

Chatting 4k for an engine, then should you do the bearings when its out incase it happens again lol :-#

Gambit

RMS Regular
Not changing air/fuel/pollen filters id believe. Apparently they can 'blow them out' if still in serviceable condition. oil and filter change id expect though.

let me elaborate - they told me they completed a major service which was to replace as part of the agreed service plan. then when questioned after service completion they said they didnt change them as they werent needed....so my "major" service then became a "minor" otherwise that would have been the free "major" service completed. i wouldn't expect anything of them now

keithmellon@

Drives
x5 e70 40d
I think my engine is N57D30B as its an E70 X5 - A breaker told me it has an extra turbo drain in the block that the 30d doesn't have.

Chatting 4k for an engine, then should you do the bearings when its out incase it happens again lol :-#
hi i am starting to down the road u did with ur e70 my own needs new crankshaft bearing and i am wondering am i better changing them and hoping for the best or just purchase second hand engine. Any advice would be great tks
keith

WSK

RMS Regular
OP
WSK
Drives
R
I have come to learn that the N57 40d engine is a bag of ****, the sheer amount of bearing issues i have seen since my own is comical!! Lesson learned!!!

But anyway, to answer your question - To rebuild them right, you need to buy a new crank also as they bend/crack 99.9% of the time when they spin bearings, may also need block line boring depending on how bad it is, then the engine and bits need thoroughly cleaned, new oil pump & all the gaskets etc etc.

I opted for a good 2nd hand engine - its ultimately a cheaper (8-(), faster repair and also not too hard to swap. Then try sell your old engine - Maybe 1k.. ppl do buy these to rebuild/resell.

Then get rid of it to ****.. before it happens again! :joy: