NC500 vs Wild Atlantic Way vs Wales

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Traffic is almost unavoidable in season anywhere, never mind what is now a huge tourist attraction. That said, you will get clear runs in between as well. Just don't expect to have the whole place to yourself anymore, those days are long gone.

Foreign drivers tend to be good at using passing places to let traffic pass, not just for oncoming traffic. English drivers - not a chance!

There are loads of alternative routes that can be quieter. Last summer I did an inner Hebrides run - Arran, Mull, Mull of Kintyre, Islay, and the bit below the A830 down to Lochaline. For the most part quiet away from the obvious hot-spots. Even the A816 from Tarbert up to Oban was brilliant.

You always win some and lose some, but Scotland is a big place.
Yup, had the experience of being held up by a non-local between Tongue and Lairg. Ten passing places gone by, so held the horn down. Guy pulled over and got out quick enough to berate me.

Fug that, blast past and enjoy the road again. What's more annoying is signs from the police to say let faster drivers past.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, the English are hopeless for that. Just don't get it's a shared road. It's their place "in the queue" even when they ARE the queue 😂 🙈 Just move over and everyone is on their way. But nope, not a chance. I usually pull over myself for a minute to get some clear space ahead, lol.

In fairness they are the same in England. Try Lake District or something like that on a bank holiday weekend 😅

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Just updated my Yaris thread with WAW photos there.

Only back last night and it was incredible, roads are so quiet still with being early in the year and I'd say over 85% of the road surfaces were great, very few potholes and only a few bumpy roads that we ended up on.

For anyone that still hasn't done this, it's literally a few hours drive away at most. From what I've done of it so far(only Cork section left to do), Co Donegal and Co Galway/Clare have been the favourite coast stretches, and Co Kerry inland around Molls Gap favorite inland parts.

If the NC500 was guaranteed to be quiet and police free, it would be a winner, but sadly it's getting too popular for its own good now so WAW is a great handy alternative

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Some great pics on your IG @gav525 - when you're done, would you mind sticking up a route plan and some digs if you can? Was looking to do the NC500 in the M3 this year but thinking the WAW would be as good and no boats involved :laughing:

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Just back from staying near Donegal and done a few WAW drives. As with everywhere your depending on the weather for the views, but have to say the roads were very good (better than up here lol)

Scenery is unreal although the weather wasnt great at times (you couldnt see your finger in front of you at a few Atlantic viewpoints :joy: ).

1000007991.jpg

1000008002.jpg

1000007983.jpg

1000008018.jpg

TIL a waterfall can go up as well :joy:
1000007989.jpg

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Just back from staying near Donegal and done a few WAW drives. As with everywhere your depending on the weather for the views, but have to say the roads were very good (better than up here lol)

Scenery is unreal although the weather wasnt great at times (you couldnt see your finger in front of you at a few Atlantic viewpoints :joy: ).

View attachment 426293
View attachment 426294
View attachment 426295
View attachment 426296

TIL a waterfall can go up as well :joy:
View attachment 426297
Viewpoint at Slieve League is lovely on a sunny day, though can be crowded. Came back to find some stranger sat on the front wing/bonnet of my car. Told him in no uncertain terms to get off. His response? Oh, we all do that here.

Tw@t!!

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Viewpoint at Slieve League is lovely on a sunny day, though can be crowded. Came back to find some stranger sat on the front wing/bonnet of my car. Told him in no uncertain terms to get off. His response? Oh, we all do that here.

Tw@t!!
Was quiet when we were there thankfully but i could see it would be very popular at peak times

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T

Tw@t!!

If that was me, he would have been viewing Slieve League from the bottom.

AidanMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
6R
Given the recent questions on the podcast and in here, I decided the map out the route we took on Wild Atlantic Way over 8 days in 2021. Not guaranteeing this route is accurate since it's based on a plan we made before going, which we didn't fully stick to, my memory and photo's to pinpoint certain locations.

I know we missed out on a big sections of the trip however we do always plan on heading back to the likes of Killarney, Galway / Mayo on long weekends away and then Donegal is only over the road.

Day 0 - Drive to Kinsale: No maps for this but notable mentions is Collector Toys Ireland in Innishannon for the model cars / lorries / tractors fans and Michael Collins Monument

Day 1 - Kinsale to Kenmare

Day 2 - Kenmare to Tralee

Day 3 - Tralee to Kilkee

Day 4 - Kilkee to Galway

Day 5 - Galway to Westport

Day 6 - Westport to Ballina

Day 7 - Ballina to Gweedore

Day 8 - Gweedore to Derry

Links to photo's I would've uploaded in here during the trip.

Cork.
View attachment 333743
View attachment 333744
View attachment 333747
View attachment 333748

Also came across this Opel Dealership, that looks like it was closed from around the time of the financial crises, due to a launch Insignia poster inside, but it also had this:
View attachment 333749

Also came across this at Mizen Head:
View attachment 333750

When the owners of the chalet you’re staying in has a dog
View attachment 334165
View attachment 334166
View attachment 334167

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Some great pics on your IG @gav525 - when you're done, would you mind sticking up a route plan and some digs if you can? Was looking to do the NC500 in the M3 this year but thinking the WAW would be as good and no boats involved :laughing:

These are the routes I done this time mate. I don't really stick to religiously to the full WAW route, would take so much longer if you wanted to see every wee nook and cranny. I just make sure to capture any bits of interest that I've seen other people post about, seen on IG etc.

And no matter what road trip I pan, usually try and stick to 3hrs driving before lunch, and 3/4hrs after lunch. Longest I done was a 14 or 15hr day, all motorway from Hungary in the C63 and that was just sh1te craic.

Day 1 from home, pick up where we left off last time in Leenaun

Shared route
From Magheraconluce Rd to Clifden via A4.

5 hr 34 min (236 mi)
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/Dj6XvbZhoes4J kRCA

Day 2

Day 3, though as said before we were too hungover to do the full thing and left Mizen until next time when we finish the Cork part off. Got to Killarney and just kept going to home 😂