Need a little help

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaz168

RMS Regular
Folks..currently driving a 2010 a5 cab 2.0 tfsi and got to say its a fun car to drive Until today my friend have offered me a 2002 porsche 911 carrera 4. Took the porsche out for a drive and got to say is unbelievable.. The only downside is that the age of the car and the interior is a bit too old fashion otherwise for £12k pounds I would've say yes to him after the impressive drive I had with the 911..
So here's the question if you were in my position would you keep the Audi and forget about the Porsche or it is a wise choice to take the 911?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
C4S is the 996 you want if you're on a sub £20k budget.

I know someone selling a lovely silver 2005 C4S Tiptronic if you're interested. He's asking £20k.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
As nice a car as the a5 is, the Porsche will be the one you will still tell people about in 25years time. If you have the means to own one I definitely would (y)

Gemma

RMS Regular
Do what you think is best is for you! If you want it... Why not..... Long time dead my friend

Gaz168

RMS Regular
OP
G
C4S is the 996 you want if you're on a sub £20k budget.

I know someone selling a lovely silver 2005 C4S Tiptronic if you're interested. He's asking £20k.

Thanks for the offer but if I'm going for the porsche I would just take the carrera 4.. I kinda understand where everyone coming from.. But in the end of the day I couldn't imagine spending around 12-13k on a car which is older than 10yrs

56oval

RMS Regular
8k, you can buy my beetle, go way quicker than an 02 c4 and look an even more massive bellend, there job done lol.

1004083_10151513459916644_2144834486_n_zps78e94713.jpg

if you squint, it looks just like a po….beetle.

Last edited:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
But it is an iconic car. Albeit driven by d*ckheads most of the time.

12k on a 12 year old car is grand.

Last week I was driving a 90k+ car that was 41 years old.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Gemma

RMS Regular
The fact your hymin and ha'ing over it says you don't really want it but want talked into it....put it down as a fun experience once in a porsche (y)

Gaz168

RMS Regular
OP
G
One of the mean point is the woman doesn't like it... I knew if I ever get it she will have my ears on fire having her nagging at me... I guess I need to take a look at it once more to actually realise how much I love the porsche

56oval

RMS Regular
It may sound great, but wait until you have to service it, youll think getting r*ped by Belfast Audi is a cakewalk.

56oval

RMS Regular
One of the mean point is the woman doesn't like it... I knew if I ever get it she will have my ears on fire having her nagging at me... I guess I need to take a look at it once more to actually realise how much I love the porsche

Do what i did, encourage her that she wants it, get her to import it, shoehorn a stupid engine into it, let her drive it, let her hate it. Marital bliss.!!!!

Gaz168

RMS Regular
OP
G
I'm sure once is come to a Porsche u expecting to pay the odds for the performance you get from it. But owning one will be a pride.. I'm just worry I will miss the luxury u get from a more modern car (a5)

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Complete contrast a5 to 996. They are a very basic car, most don't have electric seats even, but for 12k you are driving a proper sports car where as the a5 is an a4 with a coupe body thrown on imo.

Be aware parts are very expensive, does it have a full Porsche history? & if so would you be intending to keep that up?

I have just sold my cayman and if it hadn't for the 1st 2years I owned it been under Porsche used approved 24month warranty it would have been up the road much sooner.

Basically if it needs anything you need to have a grand sitting there.

A pair front discs for the cayman was £360.
Set of tyres £8/900
Agnews oil service £700

I can only imagine 911 parts are dearer again, they are reliable but with anything 12yrs+ old there are going to be wear and tear items that can't be avoided.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Bin wife buy Porsche single bliss :p

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Unless it was (I) a cabriolet and/or (2) a second car, I wouldn't bother with the Porsche. £12k is cheap but the interiors are wick and they are not as dynamic a drive as they could be. If you intend to use it as your daily Drive It will cost a fortune and you'll probably soon realise the A5 is much better, albeit less interesting.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Unless it was (I) a cabriolet and/or (2) a second car, I wouldn't bother with the Porsche. £12k is cheap but the interiors are wick and they are not as dynamic a drive as they could be. If you intend to use it as your daily Drive It will cost a fortune and you'll probably soon realise the A5 is much better, albeit less interesting.

The fact you mentioned (1) a cabriolet made the rest of your post null and void. :p

Conor

RMS Regular
It's all down to circumstance surely? I'm a massive Porsche man but I wouldn't have it as an everyday car, even the more modern ones are pretty average inside, especially when you're comparing it to an A5. If you need a daily stick with the A5, if it's solely for craic then the Porsche.

Gaz168

RMS Regular
OP
G
Already driving another car for work and etc so the porsche would be more of a second car... The a5 have been reliable other than the clutch failure I had earlier this year which I was lucky enough to have it covered by the warranty... Other than the a5 has been incredible, is just a 12 yo car doesn't sound appealing when is come to reliability, but how would I know since I haven't own a porsche before

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
The fact you mentioned (1) a cabriolet made the rest of your post null and void. :p

In my opinion it's not that great nor inspiring a car as a coupe. At least in cabrio form there's slightly less "meh" about it. Similarly, the general lack of perfomance edge to the C4S is more commensurate with, or appropriate to, cabrio format.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.