Own fault accident - no communication from other party?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Girlfriend had a minor smack last Thursday evening, ran into the back of someone in traffic.

Damage to her car is fairly minimal and can fix it myself for little money, but unsure what to do.

My girlfriend gave all her details to the other party, but in the panic, didn't get any back. We have been waiting on a phonecall to see what is going to happen, but haven't got one as yet.
Other car has a smashed taillight, but don't know of anything else.
Obviously if it is going to go through insurance it is a waste of money fixing our own, but for now I would rather have the car on the road.

Any advice on what I should do in this situation?

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
A few years back I touched the quarter panel of a car while I was reversing out of a side street onto the main road (the tosser decided to try and squeeze past me when there just wasn't enough room but anyhoo)

I gave him my details, admitted it was my fault. There were a few very minor scratches to both cars, I didnt even bother getting mine looked at...never heard from them since. Must be 4 years now so I'd assume I'm pretty safe. He got me to write my details on a napkin he had so I guess he may have lost it lol

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
A few years back I touched the quarter panel of a car while I was reversing out of a side street onto the main road (the tosser decided to try and squeeze past me when there just wasn't enough room but anyhoo)

I gave him my details, admitted it was my fault. There were a few very minor scratches to both cars, I didnt even bother getting mine looked at...never heard from them since. Must be 4 years now so I'd assume I'm pretty safe. He got me to write my details on a napkin he had so I guess he may have lost it lol

That or he got caught short for a crap on the way home !

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Ring your insurance and let them know just in case he has contacted his insurance or even the police and you look like your ignoring it. just let the insurance know somebody might be in touch and they might not, that way you have covered yourself and dont need to worry.

belfastchris

RMS Regular
Drives
E61msport
Wife did similar last year literally touched the rear bumper of a 5series no damage to her car, and she said none to his, waited four or five days and thought hopefully we hear no more, unfortunately he was taking his time getting a nice fat itemised bill from hursts at 1700+ vat....

Tedtiler

RMS Regular
Drives
St246 caldina
Do NOT tell your insurance until you have to. They will hold it on your record. Possible other guy has no insurance hence reason for no contact.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
You are supposed to tell your insurance about any minor bump. If you dont tell them and they hear from the other party first they will ask why you didnt tell them.

belfastchris

RMS Regular
Drives
E61msport
We didn't tell ours until we had to as long as you didn't leave seen of accident then there is no crime committed

Tedtiler

RMS Regular
Drives
St246 caldina
I would always wait to hear if they would let you sort it out yourself.
Minor bumps sorted through insurance often turn into whiplash one the one you hit has had a chance to think about it. And your no claims is gone pending the outcome of the claim.

Is there a time limit to tell your insurance?

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
I got her just to inform the insurance to be on the safe side, it's a protected policy anyway.

If the other car just has a smashed taillight then I will be sorting it out myself, but as time goes on I don't think this is going to be the case, and compensation has set in.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Girlfriend had a minor smack last Thursday evening, ran into the back of someone in traffic.

Damage to her car is fairly minimal and can fix it myself for little money, but unsure what to do.

My girlfriend gave all her details to the other party, but in the panic, didn't get any back. We have been waiting on a phonecall to see what is going to happen, but haven't got one as yet.
Other car has a smashed taillight, but don't know of anything else.
Obviously if it is going to go through insurance it is a waste of money fixing our own, but for now I would rather have the car on the road.

Any advice on what I should do in this situation?

Same thing happend to my fiance.

She hit a 4x4 in the back, didnt leave a mark on his car as she went into his toebar, but it destroyed our front bumper, radiator etc

It was a donegal registered 4x4, there was 4 other people in the car and the driver helped push the car into a car park and said since there was no damage to his jeep, there was no reason to call the police and get insurance invloved.

My other half called me from the car park to tell me what happened and 15 minutes later the guy returned in the 4x4 to say they were experiencing neck pain and wanted her insurance details as they were all going to have to get checked of at altnagelvin......

We expected the worst but thankfully a year and a half on, we have heard nothing.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
I dont think they had insurance to be honest.....that being the only reason a claim has not been put in.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
I was a passanger in a car that was hit side on by a bus, everyone of us in the car walked away without injury, the bus driver pushed our car out of the way into a parking space, there was nothing wrong with him, he was really happy and polite, we soon found out why.

A week later a letter came through from his solictors to say he was injured and was proceeding for compensation. So he was injured in a massive bus, that hit a 90's hatch back side on but even my mother who was driving and took the force of the bus directly into her side walked away without injury....

Our insurance company said the claims totaled £30,000 from the bus driver and from over 10 passengers who claimed.....

This was about 4 years ago, the car was insured through our traders policy and we still are paying for this accident each year.....absolute joke!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I got her just to inform the insurance to be on the safe side, it's a protected policy anyway.

If the other car just has a smashed taillight then I will be sorting it out myself, but as time goes on I don't think this is going to be the case, and compensation has set in.

All depends on what sort of person the other driver is sadly Adrian. Hopefully it'll be someone honest who would be happy with the getting the cost of a tail light covered. But sadly in this current claim culture it could well be someone looking compensation for a fictional injury etc :worried:.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

You have no choice in the matter. The damage is to their car, it's entirely up to them what they do. And as always, they have up to 3 years to make that injury claim.

In fact...once insurance companies get wind...it isnt even up to the other party. The insurance companies will try and screw as much money from the other party as possible.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
I was a passanger in a car that was hit side on by a bus, everyone of us in the car walked away without injury, the bus driver pushed our car out of the way into a parking space, there was nothing wrong with him, he was really happy and polite, we soon found out why.

A week later a letter came through from his solictors to say he was injured and was proceeding for compensation. So he was injured in a massive bus, that hit a 90's hatch back side on but even my mother who was driving and took the force of the bus directly into her side walked away without injury....

Our insurance company said the claims totaled £30,000 from the bus driver and from over 10 passengers who claimed.....

This was about 4 years ago, the car was insured through our traders policy and we still are paying for this accident each year.....absolute joke!

I get the points raised about how a few tonne bus can smash into you and your mother and you guys were fine, so they should be too.

How did a bus T-boning you get turned into your mother's fault?? reversing out of a road, pulling out in front of the bus or what?

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
She was on the one way system in limivaday and was looking to pull across to the car parking spaces on the other side if the road. She then looked for traffic coming towards her on the other side of the road, of course there wasn't any as we were in a one way system, she pulled across to get to the car parking space and then BANG.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.