Peugeot 206 handbrake sticking!?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

jimbob100

RMS Regular
I have a 01 206 and the handbrake is starting to stick you can still drive on and it seems to sort it, anyone know what could be causing it? I havent driven it in 2 weeks or so dont know if that could be the cause?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Could be a build up of dirt/brake shoe dust in the rear drum.

Try removing the drum and giving it a good cleaning, using emery paper on the inside of the drum and also making sure that the shoe is wearing evenly.

jimbob100

RMS Regular
OP
J
Should have mentioned im not mechanical is that complicated? Im selling it at the min but havent cleaned it yet!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
No lad, just a matter of removing the rear wheels, then the bolt in the middle of the hub (the hub it what the shoes catch on the inside to brake).

An hour or so should see it done, with some emery paper (sand paper specifically for metal, available from any motor factors), and a can of brake cleaner, which is a simple spray-on areosol...

jimbob100

RMS Regular
OP
J
Ah ok I will have a crack at that cheers for the help! Is it still ok to drive like that or will it damage the car?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Should be fine lad. It will cause a bit more wear on the rear brakes, and possibly use a touch more petrol due to the extra strain, but will be grand.

Was the same in a wee Metro i used to drive for a couple weeks until i got the finger out and done the above (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.