Peugeot 407 diesel good car or not?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

chrisycupra

RMS Regular
Drives
Nothing :/
Starting to consider searching for an 05/06 Peugeot 407, would be hopefully driving it a while so would want to get some nice wheels on and some coilovers.

Does anyone have a 407 in diesel and could tell me what kind of car they are, what problems to expect, etc?

Also I've never actually seen one lowered or in any other form than standard, has anyone else?

All help appreciated, thanks.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
407_HDI on here had one. It was never out of the garage, everything that could go wrong went wrong. Even the fault computer went faulty, and no I am not taking the pee. He has a Mondeo now

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Turbo, Clutch, Dual Mass, Electrics, PAS Pump and associated ECU, Balljoints go wrecking the steering knuckles in some cases - dealer only £££'s, ABS Sensors, Bearings...

Buy one, if you're a glutten for punishment!!

EDIT: How could I forget the Diesel Particulate filter, fuel injectors and high pressure pumps....

All of the above are in stock at all times where possible at our place, just to give you an idea of the regularity of 407 breakdowns.

AndyMc

RMS Regular
Drives
C350
I bought one a couple of weeks ago, what the guys say is true though there is quite a lot of pubicised problems but most you can put right yourself. They also have an issue with the heater control flaps stripping gears and you lose the ability to control temperature/direction of air. I have this problem, but am hopefully in the process of fixing it.
If you check some of the forums you'll get an idea of the problems they encounter, but be aware the forums only show the bad points, I moved from a 406 to a 407 and the handling is a huge improvement, the comfort levels are great and the MPG isn't too bad, I've managed 40mpg this week on mostly short runs.
As for the additive and particle filter you can just get it remapped and de-fapped if you want. The particle filter can also be taken off and powerhosed to clean all the **** out of it.

Revogti

RMS Regular
Drives
????
Nice cars, shame really although my mate has a 115k 307 hdi and it's gave no bother over the last 2 years and my mechanic said they are the worst car ever made lol

I'd go for a Volvo S40 personally.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Avoid would be my advice, not a fan of any diesel never mind a Peugeot diesel.
just my opinion tho.

but I think you can see a trend here of people experiencing all kinds of bother with them, kinda explains itself

306HDi

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon TDi/Mini
give over folks, we have 1 at home, 165k on it and never gives bother, just wear an tear items had to be replaced, still on original turbo etc, had a 406 hdi before with 350k on it, sold it 2 years ago and its taxi'n to this day. so go ahead and buy 1, u will hav no regrets. i had a new mondeo that gave me more trouble, had 18k on it and then i sold it an bought the 407, 10 times the car of a mondeo

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
Pumesta speaks the truth, and all the things that Richy mentioned and more went wrong with mine. By the time I'd had the car a year it had spent more than six week in the garage. My Mondeo has been in for a total of six hours, that was for two services.
I didn't just have a bad one either, we had a fleet in work and they were all dreadful

AndyMc

RMS Regular
Drives
C350
407 was yours a 1.6 or a 2.0? I have heard the 1.6 was prone to more issues than the 2.0. Don't know how true that is though?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Get a Volvo s60 D5

You're not going to get anything for the money even approaching the same level of comfort.

An 05 one will remap to 220+ hp as well. And they sound good for a diesel.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
407 was yours a 1.6 or a 2.0? I have heard the 1.6 was prone to more issues than the 2.0. Don't know how true that is though?

It was a 1.6, although strangely the Fiesta uses the same engine and I never hear of many problems with them

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
The 1.6 is a far better engine than the 2.0, though depends on the spec. The 90hp 1.6 is dead in a Focus, but the 110hp goes quite well - not much difference in a Focus to the 136hp 2.0. Lighter engine make them handle a bit better.

Wouldn't fancy the 1.6 in anything bigger than a Focus.

Workmate has the 1.6HDI in a C5 estate, uses it to tow a caravan, think he gets less than 25mpg when he's towing, boot down all the time to get anywhere. He says it's worse than the 1.9 Picasso he had before.

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
1.6HDI gives the problems when its not serviced with the correct oil, well that's one reason and in my opinion, the main reason. The low saps C3 oil is quite expensive, but it has to be used. Some people try to save a few ££ and end up in a world of french bag.

Wrong oil causes problems with the DPF and Oil supply to the turbo (which is pretty **** to begin with)

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
1.6 110bhp. Strangely enough the engine was ok other than the turbo popping. It was everything attached to and around the engine that shat itself on mine!

Alexander

Drives
Peugeot 407 1.6
Hi, I was wondering does anyone know where the ESP sensor ECU control module is found in a Peugeot 407 1.6 HDi, as I am wanting to fit it in ?

Thanks.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Get a 406 2.2 hdi exec.

They start off with 136 HP, but with the removal of the diesel particulate filter (DPF, also known as the FAP), and the installation of an ECU remap, you will get 180 HP out of it, plus an extra wad of torque for good measure.

Dont need much to look nice!

406zo.jpg

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Get a 406 2.2 hdi exec.

They start off with 136 HP, but with the removal of the diesel particulate filter (DPF, also known as the FAP), and the installation of an ECU remap, you will get 180 HP out of it, plus an extra wad of torque for good measure.

Dont need much to look nice!

I would say the OP has probably sold what ever they got by now

John Oleary

RMS Member
Drives
Peugeot 407
I`ve been an owner of 3 Peugeots,405,406 and 407.I`m a taxi driver and used these cars to earn my dosh.I now own the 407 and although build quality and electrics aren`t brilliant this car is incredibly reliable.It`s a beautifully smooth and potent 2.0 hdi diesel.Currently as I write it`s done 150,000 miles,100.000 of them taxi miles and only needed a new clutch! And the other cars were equally robust.My 407 is a much much more reliable than a 6.5 k Mondeo I once owned which at 130 k miles broke down 3 times and was nearly always in the garage!

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I had an early model 407 1.6 hdi sw as a company motor. Gave no trouble at all in the 110k that I drove it. A couple of recalls and that was it as far as I can remember.

John Oleary

RMS Member
Drives
Peugeot 407
I`ve been an owner of 3 Peugeots,405,406 and 407.I`m a taxi driver and used these cars to earn my dosh.I now own the 407 and although build quality and electrics aren`t brilliant this car is incredibly reliable.It`s a beautifully smooth and potent 2.0 hdi diesel.Currently as I write it`s done 150,000 miles,100.000 of them taxi miles and only needed a new clutch! And the other cars were equally robust.My 407 is a much much more reliable than a 6.5 k Mondeo I once owned which at 130 k miles broke down 3 times and was nearly always in the garage!
1.6HDI gives the problems when its not serviced with the correct oil, well that's one reason and in my opinion, the main reason. The low saps C3 oil is quite expensive, but it has to be used. Some people try to save a few ££ and end up in a world of french bag.

Wrong oil causes problems with the DPF and Oil supply to the turbo (which is pretty **** to begin with)
Plot thickens.Well it`s just plain stupidity to put the wrong oil in the engine instead of putting the right oil in a decent reliable car.You can`t cry over things going wrong then can you.I `ve had no serious problems with 3 Peugeots I`ve owned, doing up to a 1000 miles a week they`ve all been outstandingly reliable.

AndreJonker

Drives
Peugeot 407
I am happy with our 2008 407 2L Diesel. Bought it on 191 000km in July 2016. Have done 11 000km since. Fuel efficient as hell, average 6.2L/100km for the time I have owned it. I do have a problem with bad contact on the aircon control panel. Booked it for a service today and was surprised to hear that the service intervals are 20 000km. At R3300 a service I am very happy. I honestly only had delightful miles with our car. Very quiet in the cabin. Love the feedback system of tire pressure, break pads wear, coolant etc etc. Certainly the nicest car we have bought

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
IMG_8120.JPG
I am happy with our 2008 407 2L Diesel. Bought it on 191 000km in July 2016. Have done 11 000km since. Fuel efficient as hell, average 6.2L/100km for the time I have owned it. I do have a problem with bad contact on the aircon control panel. Booked it for a service today and was surprised to hear that the service intervals are 20 000km. At R3300 a service I am very happy. I honestly only had delightful miles with our car. Very quiet in the cabin. Love the feedback system of tire pressure, break pads wear, coolant etc etc. Certainly the nicest car we have bought

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.