Possible claim against the DOE?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

s3_trev

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 8P
Hey folks just wanted your input.

This morning when I was leaving for work, there was road works going out right outside my drive. They had created like a track in the road with tarmac, with the original bit of road sitting higher on either side of this track.

Long story short I needed to drive over this to get out of my drive to get to work, and in doing so I have quite badly scored the bottom of my front bumper.

Some things to consider maybe:

- My car IS lowered
- We received no notification of this work being carried out
- I HAVE taken pics of the road and also the damage to my car

What you folks think? Already rang the DOE and they are to ring me back.

Kind gutted with dubshed just around the corner as well.

Thanks.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
If its lowered they will say its your own fault. If its the bottom of your bumper why worry?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Sounds like a track has been planed out.

Whos the contractor? Might be easier/quicker to speak to them first.

s3_trev

RMS Regular
OP
s3_trev
Drives
Audi S3 8P
If its lowered they will say its your own fault. If its the bottom of your bumper why worry?

So just because you cant see it I shouldnt worry that its badly damaged? Not sure of your logic there.

I wouldnt volunteer the fact that its lowered.

worth a go but I wouldnt expect anything.

Yeah I was thinking of not mentioning this fact, but would they go to the extent of having my car examined? I could always say its this height standard due to being an s3.

Sounds like a track has been planed out.

Whos the contractor? Might be easier/quicker to speak to them first.

Yeah could be mate. And yeah after a few phone calls and returned phone calls I am now waiting on a call from the actual contractor. I have a name here a well. So far everyone has called me back and has been very helpful. I am just waiting on the call now telling me to eff off lol.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
On a similar note I hit a big rock from a dry stone wall the other day. Seems that the hedges were being trimmed and this was trailed out and onto the side of the road. It's damaged a wheel bearing but thankfully nothing else.

Is this DOE or is it the local farmer that does this? If the former I won't bother but DOE I'd chance a claim.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
On a similar note I hit a big rock from a dry stone wall the other day. Seems that the hedges were being trimmed and this was trailed out and onto the side of the road. It's damaged a wheel bearing but thankfully nothing else.

Is this DOE or is it the local farmer that does this? If the former I won't bother but DOE I'd chance a claim.

Likely the DOE, as from the 1st of March farmers arent allowed to trim hedges but the DOE will still be trimming the verges
(Doesnt mean that a farmer wasnt chancing his arm with a late cut tho)

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Aye no bother mate dead on sure. How about you post something useful instead? Been driving lowered cars for years and never had any problems, as have a vast majority of other members on this forum. Dont lower the car he says. **** me.
If the car was standard would the damage have been done?

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
If you put two sets on its bound to be too low.

Did you miss the bit where i said it was Standard?

1606506_479201822206310_2136641371_o.jpg

s3_trev

RMS Regular
OP
s3_trev
Drives
Audi S3 8P
I dunno whether to take your replies seriously or not scooby stu. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
LOL, but seriously if the car is lowered I don't think they will pay out. and is it not just a couple of scratches on the underside of the bumper?

s3_trev

RMS Regular
OP
s3_trev
Drives
Audi S3 8P
Na its actually pretty deep which is annoying. Yeah they will probably use that as a "get out clause" I would imagine, so I think Il do what Pabs said and just not mention that fact.

One of the girls I was speaking to today said she has posted me out a "claim form" so dunno what thats going to entail.

Darren91

RMS Regular
Gutting Trev!

To be fair, my Da's car would be close to the ground coming out of your drive and its factory lowered 30mm so with another dip in the road I'd say it would've hit the same as yours.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Been waiting since 5/12/13 on my claim with road service, totally different circumstances though but still 4 months with zero contact from them.

KrisSRT

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTD
If they ask to see your car is there anyway you could put it back to standard, save any hassle?

mmc01

RMS Regular
Lowering a car doesn't make any odds.
I near put a lowered leon I had years ago through a hedge bouncing out of a bad pothole at over a ton. Alloy wheel completely mangled. Took photos attached 2 quotes for a new wheel and tyre sent off to the DOE.
Had a cheque 2 weeks later. Just fill out the form and send it off.

Last edited:

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
what difference does lowering make?? its a perfectly legal mod and most higher spec'd models of cars tend to come a bit lower as standard, if your car can get around day to day with the huge speedbumps our country, I would fight to the death to prove the work they done on the road was the cause

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.