PPF

Stormchaser

Hi,
Anyone recommend a PPF installer? Anyone I should look out for when I’m getting a quote?
Latest post I can find is over 3 years old.
Thanks

davyk31

RMS Regular
Depends where you are. A Plus Detailing in Derry/Londonderry were recommended to me by Pete. They did a few bits on my Defender and did a great job, real nice couple who run the place too and seem to have plenty of experience in both PPF and detailing.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Loads of people at it, where in the country are you and I’m happy to give a recommendation.

We stopped doing it years ago. I personally don’t rate it at all and if I won’t have it on my own car I won’t sell it to a customer.

Stormchaser

OP
S
Loads of people at it, where in the country are you and I’m happy to give a recommendation.

We stopped doing it years ago. I personally don’t rate it at all and if I won’t have it on my own car I won’t sell it to a customer.
Why would you not put it on your own car @big_pete?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Why would you not put it on your own car @big_pete?

I don’t think it represents any sort of value vs what it costs to repaint something.

The film itself can get damaged and often costs more to replace the piece of film than it costs to paint a panel.

If the car has had paintwork previously, PPF is 9/10 going to lift clear coat off when removing it. So if the film gets damaged for some reason, you are replacing the film AND painting a panel anyway.

I don’t like how it looks. Modern films are now actually very good in terms of finish and gloss vs paint but it still isn’t as sharp as paint. A lot of people won’t see the difference but I could on my own car, especially since I had the paintwork so sharp and glossy from correction and coating, the PPF parts always looked a little off.

If it’s going on a car that gets a lot of use, dirt builds up in edges and it’s difficult to clean without risking lifting the film/damaging the edges.

It’s personal preference and there are plenty of people that have positive experiences with it. I just don’t see the value in it at all. A lot of our customers at the time we were doing it felt the same and didn’t do it on any of their next vehicles.

Some do though and still to this day get their cars PPF’d and I’m always happy to recommend someone.

Also the quality of the film makes a big difference and quality varies massively. Xpel is the best of the best IMO.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
The complete car company in Lisburn fitted mine.

I only had it fitted to the skirts and a section of the rear quarters as these areas get battered on a Porsche.

Mine was fitted 3 years ago next month, and honestly probably could do with being replaced at some point soon.

Stormchaser

OP
S
The complete car company in Lisburn fitted mine.

I only had it fitted to the skirts and a section of the rear quarters as these areas get battered on a Porsche.

Mine was fitted 3 years ago next month, and honestly probably could do with being replaced at some point soon.
I thought there was a 10-year warranty with the PPF? Why do you need to get yours replaced?

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I thought there was a 10-year warranty with the PPF? Why do you need to get yours replaced?

As Pete says above, some of the edges do have dirt underneath them now. My car is used almost every day.

Also the area just in front of the rear wheels on a Porsche is particularly susceptible to road rash, and you can now notice 20k of miles on this area. I am particularly fussy, so maybe it’s just me.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Film isn't for everyone, it's a sacrificial layer of film to protect the paint underneath at the end of the day so you will notice edges in places, an imperfection here and there if you look close enough, we wrap edges where at all possible.

If you are fine with painting your car then it may not be for you. But if you don't want the hassle of painting and want to keep your paint original then it's really the only option to maintain that.

The clarity of films now are much better than before and many will not notice the difference and again you really need to be hunting out the film to notice things in my opinion.

Dirt can be flushed from edges fairly successfully and worst case a mm or 2 trimmed.

All aforementioned companies get good reports at it.

As for refinished paint jobs, it's certainly an increased risk for clear lifting. You are reliant on the quality of paint job, how it was cured ie baked or not, the length of time left after the paint was applied etc. May not be as high as 9/10 in my opinion but certainly 50/50.

Last edited: