Private plate transfers England to NI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
I'm sure you lot are getting bored with my questions now but I've got another.
Is it possible to transfer private plates from DVLA to DVLNI and retain the ability to transfer them to other cars and sell them on?
Just spoken to the DVLA and DVLNI about transferring private plates over and naturally the sheep shaggers at the DVLA hadn't the foggiest and the DVLNI although confirmed that yes the plates can be transferred with the car, kept dodging the question when I asked if it was at all possible to then transfer them to other cars or sell them on after, I currently have two private plates one on retention and one a car and I'll be getting another this weekend with another car acquisition so I'm wondering is it worth keeping them or just sell them off before I go?
Thanks in advance peoples.

pablo

RMS Moderator
to get a plate from DVLA to here it needs to go onto a moped or some other donor first, then onto an NI car. From an english car to here is ok too, but no concept of retention here, it needs to be on a taxed and moted vehicle.

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
OP
Big Blue Winky
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
They will all be on vehicles but does that mean that should I want to sell them on at a later date I can't or that I can if the next vehicle it goes on is fully taxed and MOTed? Sorry if I seem a bit stupid here but I've been rather confused by the two phone calls I had about it.

pablo

RMS Moderator
if you move the cars over here you wont lose the plate. And youll be able to sell them ok. but they will have to go from your car to another car afaik.

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
OP
Big Blue Winky
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
An right, that's ok then, makes things much simpler for sure then, so it is still worth my while keeping them, excellent, thanks for the info good sir.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
All English plates (all UK plates in fact) are valid in NI Big Blue Winky (y) Just need to register the car in NI so the address/keeper/etc. is correct.

Only tricky bit is retaining a plate when selling a car on.

You will find our bureaucracy over here is about twenty years behind the rest of the UK, lol :grinning:

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
OP
Big Blue Winky
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
That's slightly concerning the fact I could lose the plate if I sell the car on as well, one of the plates cost me a little bit of money but then again it is going on a car I'm not intending to sell so I suppose I shouldn't be overly concerned, as for the others I got them free with cars anyway so I would neither lose out not gain anything if that's the case.

I expect the way it works over there is probably much simpler and makes more sense though.

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
Just make sure you fill out the forms correctly when your registering the cars, I think there is an option to have the car re registered with a new ni plate, clearly you don't want this. but it's should be clear enough on the form

If your selling the car you just transfer it before you hand over any documentation I believe.

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
OP
Big Blue Winky
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
Ok thanks for that, I'll make sure to scrutinise the paperwork closely beforehand then also make a mental note of the transferring before selling bit too as the car I'm getting this weekend has a private plate but I'm only keeping it until the summer or late this year so don't want to lose that if it's possible. You've all be very helpful thanks.

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
When you sell though, you will need a car or motorbike to transfer it directly onto but I'm sure you have gathered this. Personally I would do the transfer paperwork and hand it directly to the tax office the day of the sale then you'l be covered

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
OP
Big Blue Winky
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
Well I've got the cars covered so that's not too much trouble I was more worried I might lose them forever or that they might disappear into obscurity forever, at least there seems to ways and means around it all.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Oh, and we still tax our cars over here using bits of paper and cash, in an actual tax office or post office :grinning:

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
OP
Big Blue Winky
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
Same over here although we do have the added advantage of being able to tax them online except that I am being messed around taxing the Daimler online at the moment which has rendered it unusable for a couple of weeks.

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
Intending on buying a reg plate soon, have a granny in england that rarely uses her car, intended on registering it to her car then transferring it to mine in n.i, thats all good but just wandering what happens once i take my plate off my family members car, does she automatically get her old plate back?

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
OP
Big Blue Winky
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
Yep it will revert back to her old plate all you would need to do is pay the transfer fee and that's it.

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
Ok cool as the dvla price includes a transfer to an english car but acereg still want 190 to transfer which means id really be paying 3 transfer fees and a £30 fee for them doing it :confounded:

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
OP
Big Blue Winky
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
I'd say Acereg are extracting the urine some what, to transfer L500 FUN from my old Griffth to my mother's Fiat 500 it cost me £80 and I thought that was enough of a rip off in the first place.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Nah acereg will mean the 190 will be for paying DVLA and then to the DVA (the 2 £80 registration fees) and then their fee for doing it all on your behalf you'll prob find :grinning:

You's are prob both getting cross wires with thinking you want them to do it all after you also then transfer it to your nan's car. There is ZERO need for 3 times of the paperwork in any way. You doing it yourself and taking the time would be the cheaper route id go if you have that option! :grinning:

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Big Blue Winky when you moving over then sir ?
As already said you will prob find that acereg are charging you nothing there, DVLA NI will be a whole new experience trust me !!!!

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
No i went back to them and said i noticed on the dvla site the £250 includes transfer to a mainland reg so would i pay 110 rather than 190 as my first transfer is covered by the dvla charge! I got a blunt reply saying, we will still charge £190

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
OP
Big Blue Winky
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
Well it's all in the process of being sorted, solicitors seem to take forever, even though there's no mortgage involved it's still taking ages, and far be it for me to interrupt his golf by making him actually do some work. I want to propose to my girlfriend too but was hoping to do it when I move over and it's delaying that.

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
OP
Big Blue Winky
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
Well I suppose they have to make their money as well, after all it's a business and what not but still if possible try and transact the transfers yourself I'm sure there will be plenty of helping hands here if you need it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.