Purchase of NHS Lease Car

johnjb

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo V50
Hi

I am seeking advice or guidance on the purchase of a NHS Lease car.
My friend in England has a BMW ix1 electric on a NHS Lease, contract was signed in September this year.
She is considering taking early retirement within the next 2 years and handing the car back, the question is can I purchase the car?

I understand I will have to use a Third Party to facilitate the purchase eg. Ecocars or a similar agent here.

Is this possible and has anyone done this before.

Any advice would be welcome.

Reactions: DC.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
My understanding, the lease company own the car. At the end of the lease term they probably just send them to auction.

How you would purchase during the lease term, I don't know? Be worth contacting the lease company but I'd say you'll have to pay strong money for it.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Early termination is mentioned in the FAQ's:

She will most likely have to pay a fairly substantial penalty to terminate the contract. I would be surprised if there was any way for you to buy it, and even if you can they will ask close to market value for it in my experience.

johnjb

RMS Regular
OP
J
Drives
Volvo V50
My understanding, the lease company own the car. At the end of the lease term they probably just send them to auction.

How you would purchase during the lease term, I don't know? Be worth contacting the lease company but I'd say you'll have to pay strong money for it.
Thanks back to the drawing board!
Early termination is mentioned in the FAQ's:

She will most likely have to pay a fairly substantial penalty to terminate the contract. I would be surprised if there was any way for you to buy it, and even if you can they will ask close to market value for it in my experience.
That tough, on the same thread can I purchase a PCP car from a third party friend at the end of their term.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Thanks back to the drawing board!

That tough, on the same thread can I purchase a PCP car from a third party friend at the end of their term.

No reason why you can't, they will just exercise their right to purchase the vehicle rather than hand it back, you make the bank transfer to the leasing company and when the V5 comes through in their name you send it off to change it into your name.

johnjb

RMS Regular
OP
J
Drives
Volvo V50
Graham2
Thanks for the advice

Regards
Johnjb

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I got offered the Golf R at the end of the lease term, they offered it to me for the same price as comparable cars I could find. I would have had to take out a substantial loan to pay for it, so I let them take it and took out a new lease on a Model Y for about the price as the loan.