RaddyMAXI - 3.2 'R32' VW Caddy Bike Van Build!

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
So I've been looking at vans for a long time - I race enduro dirt bikes and have started doing some MTB as well and honestly I couldn't get over how expensive very average vans have got. I started looking for Transporters but was unwilling to pay the kings ransom that a 200k Transporter was going for.

As all good projects start - I made an off the cuff comment to Gavin from @Blackline about engine swapping a Caddy and within a few days, he had sold me a donor car and another friend had sold me a 1.9 PD Caddy Maxi that needed an engine and turbo for €500.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.55.49.png

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.56.11.png

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.57.49.png

As you can see from the photos its as rough as a bag of nails and I must be mad cos I see great potential in this thing - but it has everything I need... a solid shell and of the correct age where the electrics and wiring for the engine swap will be compatible and hopefully not a complete nightmare.

So onto the engine swap... Gavin had a ex-police 3.2 VW B6 Passat sitting in stock with 97k on it as a parts car for his own Passat. The perfect doner car... not really, but it's in stock and thats the main thing.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 19.02.26.png

So there we go - that's the plans so far. It will be getting a full cosmetic makeover once the engine is in and I'll go through that at a later date. I've decided to vlog the build, so if you want a bit more indepth info, the first episode is live on YouTube now.

Clark

seanmooney

RMS Regular
Watched the video the other night , this is going to be cool project.

Is it cheaper to import one instead of buying here.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
@seanmooney Wouldn't say it was any cheaper, just happened to be the right van at the right time sort of thing. It's definitely more of a hassle to import it given that I'll have to try and get it through an NI MOT with a blown turbo before I do the engine swap or do its import MOT after it has been swapped which won't be much fun either.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Looks to be a good project - like that you are planning to vlog it instead of the traditional million photos like the rest of us

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
Looks to be a good project - like that you are planning to vlog it instead of the traditional million photos like the rest of us
I've somewhat of an alterior motive for vlogging it. My racing season takes a 2 month break for summer and my YouTube channel dies a death numbers wise if I don't post for that long so thought this would be something good to keep it going during the summer and keep the algorithim gods happy.

Will be good to film the progress tho and have it as something to look back on once its done. I plan to go to town on this thing so the before and after should be incredible.

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
This is going to be fantastic (vantastic?)

Are you going to bring the 4motion system over?
No plans for 4WD atm, the rear suspension of the Caddy is so different that it would be a lot of added complication for the swap.

Plan is to keep the original DSG box from the Passat and blank off the output for the 4WD so there’s no reason why it couldn’t be something I look into in the future, but as ive no plans for a turbo or supercharger 2WD will be more than enough for the 200hp the engine makes

JH86

RMS Regular
Brilliant mate, brilliant, more folks from here need to step in to the video/YouTube world also

Keep the updates coming ✌️

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
This is going to be an epic build.

Not much you have done hasn’t been cooler than a cool thing and I expect this won’t be much different.

Keep the updates coming

JH86

RMS Regular
No plans for 4WD atm, the rear suspension of the Caddy is so different that it would be a lot of added complication for the swap.

Plan is to keep the original DSG box from the Passat and blank off the output for the 4WD so there’s no reason why it couldn’t be something I look into in the future, but as ive no plans for a turbo or supercharger 2WD will be more than enough for the 200hp the engine makes

Personally I'd leave the transfer box as it is on the box, means you can use the passat shaft instead of buying a plate, a cup and a 2wd shaft

Edit : a genuine mot will be an issue with no prop shaft

Them pesky mots 😂

clrrk

RMS Regular
OP
clrrk
Drives
S14A
This is going to be an epic build.

Not much you have done hasn’t been cooler than a cool thing and I expect this won’t be much different.

Keep the updates coming
Thanks for the kind words - I do my best, but the reality is I've always had some very talent friends helping me look good and I'd say that'll be the case more than ever with this build!

Personally I'd leave the transfer box as it is on the box, means you can use the passat shaft instead of buying a plate, a cup and a 2wd shaft

Edit : a genuine mot will be an issue with no prop shaft

Them pesky mots 😂
It's a conversation we've had and we did wonder about the legailties for MOT. The blanking plate and parts aren't that expensive though so probably best just to do it once and do it right.

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
I think I'm right in saying that 2.7 v6 from the B5 S4 is the wrong direction for a caddy? Transverse rather than longitudinal?

But it would fit in a B4 Audi 80 the very best........ ^o)