Rebuilding Volks Rays Split Rims - Help Appreciated

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ryst

RMS Regular
Drives
MG ZT CDTI
Well chaps,
Long story short, I took these as a part ex well over a year ago and got them for very little. They're in dire shape, but having researched the wheel, I've decided I am going to see what I can do at least, and I've made a decent start.

Anyways, if anyone out there has any experience rebuilding these wheels, it'd be appreciated if they could get in touch. Specs on the wheels are pretty hard to find.

2013-07-10 11.41.11.jpg

BigJoe

RMS Regular
Drives
FR-V - Civic
Whats the craic with the edge? Looks like it has been shaved down, so much so that the bolt hoes are non existent.

PoddyM

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Where the holes are shaved off, that's how it should be. There is a bracket that goes on either side for additional support. That's how rays made their older wheels.

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
You'll need to check with a thread guage or a tap into the holes. They'll be either M6 or M7 probably. Titanium touch in germany can get you whatever bolts you need.
Torque settings for split rims will be about 16 - 18ft lbs. Use a decent bead of any all purpose sealer like sikaflex or tigerseal.

Simple as that. Or is there anything else you need?

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
You should always seal anyway if you can as it stops the crap getting in and corroding your threads. Nothing worse than trying to drill a bolt out of a split rim.

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
Very true but then again, we do live in a country with crap roads and crap weather which is a bad combination for any rims.

ryst

RMS Regular
OP
ryst
Drives
MG ZT CDTI
Yeah as mentioned above, the 'sheared' look is factory - two brackets place the face onto the barrel.

@Bazmcc cheers - email sent off to Titanium Touch. Also, just was hoping to see what type of sealant was recommended, a lot of people don't use it but then a lot of people don't live on our island. Thanks.

Cro

RMS Regular
I'd love to see a refurbed or good set of those wheels all made together to see what this 'sheared' look is meant to look like, because I can see what people mean about it missing bolt holes around the outside.
And its probably the photo but they don't even look round anymore because of it

ryst

RMS Regular
OP
ryst
Drives
MG ZT CDTI
It's not visible when the wheels are built - the brackets sit behind the lip, looks completely normal.
There's two of the brackets, and the other pic is of a built rim.
2013-07-10 11.41.16.jpg 2013-07-10 11.41.20.jpg

Last edited:

ryst

RMS Regular
OP
ryst
Drives
MG ZT CDTI
Personally, I think it's pretty cool...not standard predictable wheels like BBS haha

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.