Red diesel, petrol station responsible?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
To cut long n short of it, fillin up last Wednesday at a pump no far from where I live and beside me there was a red diesel pump (reverse side of my pump)

D-turbine pulled in stuck 5er of the red juice into it and went in to pay at same time as myself. Lady behind till knew it was red as driver said 'fiver of red on pump.....'

Now surely petrol stations are responsible for this as they would be selling alcohol or fags to minors??

Or am I wrong. Thought garage could get in big trouble with customs etc for knowingly filling Reg cars with red diesel?

Not a rant more a quirey. And yes it just had to be a reeked out feltspec organ donor transport vehicle lol!

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
By law any buisness selling Gas Oil (red diesel) should keep records of the registration of the vehicle. Although as far as im aware the only vehicle that can put it straight in is Tractors.

Are you sure it was red derv?

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I always wondered this too. surely the owners would be trying to discourage the sale of red as i assume they make more on clear derv?

I know at most of the attended pumps on the border the people on the pumps cant put red/green into a car, the driver has to do it themselves. They still accept the money for it though...

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Go ring the police :p always thought the shop were responsible to ring up customs or whatever looks after that. Good on them though get the Ribena wacked in for some. Might aswell if no ones gonna stop you

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I remember a post on '44 about a fella working in a garage in Grimavady, he put up saying he seen someone using the red deisel pump and next time he'd have to report it

But as for the legal side, I don't think the gargae is responcable to report it, the car could be being used for "farm use only", doubtful I know, but possible

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Garage isnt responsible and you only have to record the reg of vehicles and get a VAT number if its over 50 litres in a single transaction. The garage cannot however pump it in and must display a sign that it is not for road use but thats where their responsibility ends. More money to be made on red as it is actually priced reasonably

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
Def red diesel and only a fiver lol was 77p a litre and he got like 6.7 litres I think lol.

Fair play for the swingers but it was more the garage I was interested in lol

Sailorbaz

RMS Regular
Scotland/Co Tyrone/ Rio de Janiero, Brasil!
Drives
E46 CSL and F10
Apart from anything, who puts a FIVER of fuel in anything bigger than a lawnmower???

We don't all have csl money mate.

Yeah, sorry about that. It was an early rise here in Brasil 03:30lt, I do apologise lads.

But, working in oil and gas, poor petrol Station behaviour really grinds me. I've seen people using phones, filling their car with it still running AND wait for it, SMOKING in Petrol Stations not to mention the appalling parking etiquette witnessed in recent years and not a peep from the attendant. This thread sums it up nicely.

I have wondered how people got Red Diesel into their road cars, but after seeing someone fill 2 x 25l drums and running across the road to tip it into his Passat, I thought that's what everyone 'had' to do. :relieved:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Seen it a few times. Ballsy thats for sure, not sure I'd have the bottle to do it lol. Almost guaranteed that if I tried it the plod would pull in behind me and bust my chops.

Wasn't aware of that rule about 50 litres or more either...

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
This car took it straight from the pump. Maybe a modified fuel filler cap?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What for?

It's just like any other derv pump except red diesel comes out instead of white.

A dual tank set-up would be quite slick though. Red for when you're on your farm land/offroading or whatever and then white for normal road use. Couldn't be that hard to do either.

Neil G

RMS Regular
Drives
LY 255 clio V6
What for?

It's just like any other derv pump except red diesel comes out instead of white.

A dual tank set-up would be quite slick though. Red for when you're on your farm land/offroading or whatever and then white for normal road use. Couldn't be that hard to do either.

lol well worded..

woman behind the counter was probably schocked at someone only getting a fiver worth and maybe thought it was goin in a can?
surely its as simple as that to get red?

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Craig my Granda had a Series 2 with twin tanks and you could flick between the two. Only the white tank had an external filler so it was the tank that got dipped :grinning:

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
Be handy enough to setup two tanks in a van or jeep , great idea. Switching between the two would be good but not needed in terms of getting dipped.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Thats true for the dipping bit but I think you would still need to switch because as far as I know the dippers also analyse exhaust gases.

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
i remember a friend who a a derv 106 that had a tank in the spare wheel well car was plumbed to run off it but the normal tank was there and if dipped it was white diesel. although i believe this wont work anymore as they take from the fuel lines at the filter now i have been told dont know how much truth in it though.......

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
Here just thinking about this a little more, there is a Red derv pump at the go garage in carrick...

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
there is a few garages that have them in belfast....

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Here just thinking about this a little more, there is a Red derv pump at the go garage in carrick...
HAHA, yes i spotted that and wished i had a derv lol. That place is farrrr to easy for it. But then again, maybe they just hope someone wont take the risk of being caught.

I used to just fill up on the red at the pump in Tommy Thomsons in Ards years ago, never a word said till customs parked up in a jeep with the rear facing the pump with a camera recording. Till guy just wrapped the window and pointed behind me then i had to change pump lol.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

yes...and card only payments. Which mean that Customs have easy access to exactly who is purchasing, and how much.

You'll need to explain that when they come knocking and find red in a vehicle....with proof of using it for however long.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.