Removal of trim coating?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I’m interested in a mk3 Golf GTI but the black textured trims have been coated/painted in a gloss product of some description. This hasn’t been done very well and you can see bubbles and general failure of this on the plastics. It’s the only thing putting me off the car so is there a way of removing it? It’s not mine yet so I can’t rock up and try to remove it in case of damage. Thanks

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Light sanding?

Any chemical product to strip it will likely destroy the plastic. If all else fails you could use the textured matt black spray that others here have used to restore the oe look

purplea4T

RMS Regular
OP
purplea4T
Light sanding?

Any chemical product to strip it will likely destroy the plastic. If all else fails you could use the textured matt black spray that others here have used to restore the oe look
I’ve thought about the textured spray but it’ll be the whole of a mk3 Golf - arch trims, door trims, bumper tops, the lot, then replacing any broken fixings, repairing what you find…..

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Id say you would be very lucky to remove it without the plastic being affected

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Cost vs Effort. Is it too expensive to replace all trims as it might be less time consuming and stressful.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
OP
purplea4T
Cost vs Effort. Is it too expensive to replace all trims as it might be less time consuming and stressful.
Yeah, it’s satin silver so be a nightmare to paint the bumpers to match, and it is every bit of trim, right down to rear spoiler and front splitter.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
OP
purplea4T
:joy: :joy:

Thought so! Its now in my driveway and my Mrs daily

Knew it was the same one as soon as we went to look at it :joy::joy:
Big fella selling it was a gent, I was just undecided about buying anything so bought a new BMW 330e instead 😂. The wee Golf had solid bones for sure.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Yeah, nice fella. Sound as a £££

Needs a few small patches down low on the front wings/sills but apart from that it seems a good solid wee car

Il let you know how i get on with the trims when i get time to look at them :joy: :joy: