RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
See with the steel sheds how are folks insulating them? Which the best / recommended method? Stick frames up and kingspan sheets, seen a load of videos on YouTube of guys using spray foam insulation (tends to be the more american videos)
Thinking of going down the route of steel shed now instead of block as the cost of materials alone is frightening and seeing I'll be moving my home office to it will need to be insulated, also been told insulating them helps with the condensation issues.

Willy599

RMS Regular
I think QSGav used the spray insulation on his garage, so he'd probably be able to give good insights with it. Personally I'd go kingspan sheets.

Have you considered what kind of heating you're going to add for the home office in the garage?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
See with the steel sheds how are folks insulating them? Which the best / recommended method? Stick frames up and kingspan sheets, seen a load of videos on YouTube of guys using spray foam insulation (tends to be the more american videos)
Thinking of going down the route of steel shed now instead of block as the cost of materials alone is frightening and seeing I'll be moving my home office to it will need to be insulated, also been told insulating them helps with the condensation issues.

If you really want it insulated why don’t you look at insulated panels?

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
I put up several sheds round the house... spray foam timber lined etc. we did one with the insulated panels 10 years ago.. twice the price... every one without fail is insulated panels since then. You cannot beat it. It's worth every penny if you can afford it. Heat noise ease of fitting ease of fixing screwing things to it etc. The skylights for them are also like a double thickness plastic. Also insulated doors a must for a workshop, no rattles. All depends on your use case though.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I quote a with the insulated panels and it was near double the price figured insulating it my self wouldn't be 12k
What size are thinking of? I’m waiting on the planning permission application to go through, 12m x 7m. Was considering insulated panels, but they are costly. If I remember correctly I was quoted around 6k but don’t know what thickness of insulation and that didn’t include insulated roller doors.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
I got my planning back there for roughly the same size 6m x 14m. Who did you price with if you dont mind me asking?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I got my planning back there for roughly the same size 6m x 14m. Who did you price with if you dont mind me asking?
£10400 off top of my head, three roller doors, 4m high. Guy in Clonoe. How did the planning application work out? Did it take long? Mine closed two weeks ago, nobody objected, so just down to the council now.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
£10400 off top of my head, three roller doors, 4m high. Guy in Clonoe. How did the planning application work out? Did it take long? Mine closed two weeks ago, nobody objected, so just down to the council now.
Is that clone custom sheds ? I've 3m to the eves and 4.4 to Ridge but thats cause I originally put planning in with the intention of building a block garage but was working far too expensive. Im not sure now if I can get a steel shed that has a total height of 4.4m when means bigger walls than 3m of that makes sense?
Ahh it took me 14 months from when the application was submitted before approval and that was with zero objections. I had to see the process if people where objecting to it

Last edited:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
14 months, flip didn’t think it would be that long, my planner estimates around 4-6 months.
Is that clone custom sheds ? I've 3m to the eves and 4.4 to Ridge but thats cause I originally put planning in with the intention of building a block garage but was working far too expensive. Im not sure now if I can get a steel shed that has a total height of 4.4m when means bigger walls than 3m of that makes sense?
Ahh it took me 14 months from when the application was submitted before approval and that was with zero objections. I had to see the process if people where objecting to it

saxo_man

RMS Regular
My architect said I'd probably be looking at 6-8 months.
What council was that? Mid-Ulster has it's own planning portal separate from everyone else (dont know why), so that might why there is a difference. Was there some hold ups or was it literally just sitting waiting to be approved? Cheers!

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
What council was that? Mid-Ulster has it's own planning portal separate from everyone else (dont know why), so that might why there is a difference. Was there some hold ups or was it literally just sitting waiting to be approved? Cheers!
That was Lisburn council, As far as i know there was no hold ups on our end or any questions etc that needed answered by us