Speedo not working on MR2

BigJoe

RMS Regular
Drives
FR-V - Civic
Mate has a 94 MR2 but the speedo and mile counter dont work.

The car is an import and still has the kph clocks, is there an easy way to fix this, or anything that goes wrong with them. Also will this effect his MOT which is next month.

Thanks in advance

Joe

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
wont effect mot lad. as long as there are miles and km both on the clock. miles might possible have to be the main numbers though. check the speedo drive havent broke

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
dead easy to fix - there is a wee cable which attaches to the back of the clocks (kinda like a tv aerial) which has probably worked its way loose - happened on my old one - unscrew the clocks, and re-attahc.

ps - if the odometer is reading 00000 the MOT guys may notice it a wee bit funny - i know a police officer noticed it on mine!

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
yes he will need mph clocks for mot, but the speedo cable wears through on these, ******* to replace as it runs from the clocks to the engine, in a huge loop, also they break at the gearbox if they have a weak or broken engine mounting, and some if lowered fall out of the clocks their selves, though that is not common as the metal clip holding the cable there is a bollocks to remove

PrimO

RMS Regular
Bibby it was only Rev1 MR2's that used a speedo cable, 1994 cars are rev3 and electronic....my brother has a 95 G-LTD MR2 (import) and the speedo is electronic and another mate has a Rev2 1992 GTS Turbo and his are also electronic...as i have taken both them out to remove the kmph>mph convertor fitted to them in the UK. No cable, just three plugs on both of them. So i would think its a case that the speedo convertor has developed a problem (which is a very common problem with them) Pull out the speedo cluster and see if theres 3 wires attched to a small back plastic box or shrink wrapped circuit board, remove it and hook up the purple wire (VSS>ECU>Speedo wire)from the loom to the purple wire on the central white plug again and see if the speedo works, if it does then the convertor has died and you'll need to buy a new one. If it doesnt work then the vehicle speed sensor (in gearbox) is at fault...probably!

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
also the speed control ecu for these is in the passengers footwell, which you can check to see if it has had a bit of water about the bottom off, as if the windscreen leaks, these normally suffer and corrode inside due to where they are positioned, was not sure what rev his was as with just a year could of been a early 94 which could still possibly made it a rev 2

PrimO

RMS Regular
Rev2 also have electronic speedo's so it has to be an electrical problem and my money is still on the convertor.

ken robbins

Drives
alvis,riley & ja
hi,i do not know where this idear that a speedo has anything to do with a mot has come from as you do not even need a milometer.the tester should just put 000 in the relevent box.there is no mention in the mot testers manual about spedos and milage can be put in as miles or kilometers. you will also find that all modern comercials are in kilometers regardless or weather made abroad or here.(i have been a tester for over 15 years)

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Look at that, service even after 5 years time lol (y)

Ken, are you a tester in GB by any chance?

Mr2-Tastic

Drives
mr2 rev2
also the speed control ecu for these is in the passengers footwell, which you can check to see if it has had a bit of water about the bottom off, as if the windscreen leaks, these normally suffer and corrode inside due to where they are positioned, was not sure what rev his was as with just a year could of been a early 94 which could still possibly made it a rev 2
Hi, can you explain where this module is please..? I have a 93 model with electronic speedo issues....have replaced the capacitors on the cluster and also replaced the sensor...but am still having erratic speedo readings...reading way too high...the sensor is a generic new one, hoping it would read correctly as it fitted fine..
Hope you can help...
Thanks