Strange speedometer in Golf?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Derekm

RMS Regular
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
I was driving one of the new shape VW Golfs recently and noticed that the scale on the speedo changes from increments of 10mph below 80mph to increments of 20mph above 80mph.

I just thought it was strange on an analoge meter to have the scale change like that?

Attachments

• IMG00076-20101014-1740.jpg
    IMG00076-20101014-1740.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,946

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
Claires Leon doesnt have Kmph on the clocks but comes up as a digital display on the computer

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
MOT fail if they don't have KPH on the clocks. So VW are selling cars that wont pass the government inspection.

EPIC FAILZ Y0!!!111!!!!

:party:

boy_racer996

B
prob a digital display for kph... does not have to be printed on the clock in that case

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
MOT fail if they don't have KPH on the clocks. So VW are selling cars that wont pass the government inspection.

EPIC FAILZ Y0!!!111!!!!

:party:

My new 2010 Range Rover Sport doesn't have km/h markings either. You have to switch it on electronically

purplea4T

RMS Regular
The golf mk6 has the kph display on the info centre on the dash. The increments are based on speed limits I would imagine, ie the more regularly used speeds.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
"Sure I thought I was doing 120kph, and everyone else was just going slowly, Garda." ;)

I used that excuse one day after being stopped in or around Monaghan a couple of years back.... (I had the display on MPH tearing through a village thinking that everyone drives slow here...)

I was in my Southern Registered C4 van at the time, handed the nice Guard my Northern License.... He handed it back and said...

Actualy, it wasn't the speed, you overtook a car on a solid line - Take care Derek, on your way now!

PHEW

Mark_C

RMS Regular
speedos have been driven by a VSS for about 20 years with some manufacturers

Derekm

RMS Regular
OP
Derekm
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
Whats a VSS? im assuming a (vehicle speed sensor).

being controled by sensor is fine. The speedo didnt seem that accurate to me when I was driving it. It was under reading by quite a bit and seemed to get much worse when the scale changed to 20mph increments.

I cant understand how a scale like that can be accurate.

If the needle is inbetween 80-100, realistically you dont have a clue what speed your doing. When does the scale change? is it at 80? is it the midpoint between 80 and 100? no idea......

Being cynical i would say that the scale doesnt change and when it reads 100 its still the same as if it was 90. So it makes you feel ur going faster than u really are and helps keep your speed around or below 80 (which of course is really only about 75ish anyway as it over reads)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.