vauxhall viscount 3.3 oil light

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
the oil light is staying on on my 1966 vauxhall viscount 3.3 although it is the same as the omega, carlton and senator 12 v motor, the oil light is staying on
my instinct tells me the oil pump is a bit knackered, although i think this was also a problem with the 3 lit's of the newer version engine
any one know of common faults eg oil light switch
ps there are no oil leaks and the vehicle has been regularly serviced

Bibby

RMS Regular
OP
Bibby
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
yea car is before me also, but is similar in almost every way to the other 3 litre 12 valve 6 cylinders, so was wondering if anyone found a similar fault with the newer engine

Fast_CAV

RMS Regular
Drives
548hp sr20
I have 1...have had no probs with it at all...But My mate did...he had a 24V one...was 110%...till he gave it a good revin...Picked up dirt from the sump and cloged the oil pump- then Bang!!! rods out everywhere...

If ure Viscount hasnt had the ***** driven out of it its likely it has alot of **** left in the sump and has lifted some of it cloging the Lift pipe 4 the oil pump...
Take sump off clean it and the oil pump out and re assemble...

Or
Alternatively...darin all oil out...Fill engine with parafin...let it sit 4 a while...Put a bit of oil in it...start it let it idle for about 30 secs...to clean itsself out then Drain oil and parafin out and fill with new oil...

S_Gault

RMS Regular
remove the relief valve.. you may find dirt has stuck in the seat of it and its not sealing.

This will affect oil pressure.

If that doesnt cure it its not the pump, it;ll be the fact that youve a huge bearing clearance..

its easy to check the pump, just measure the rotoe to annulus clearance

Steven

Dermot

Nova Bibby said:
the oil light is staying on on my 1966 vauxhall viscount 3.3 although it is the same as the omega, carlton and senator 12 v motor,

They never Made a 3.3 Carlton, Omega or senator???

Bibby

RMS Regular
OP
Bibby
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
seriously, duh, the vicount is a 3.3 and has practically the same set up as the others listed, hence why i was quoting those engines, practically the same engine, part for the bore size

Fast_CAV

RMS Regular
Drives
548hp sr20
Do what I sugested...
even put in a new set of shells while u have the sump off...

S_Gault

RMS Regular
new shells wont neccessarily restore the bearing clearance! measure it up!

Give your self a lot less hassle and look at the relief valve first.

Steven

Bibby

RMS Regular
OP
Bibby
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
got her sorted, what an easy engine to work on! relief valve was fine. the oil pump probably because the car lies for 8 months of the year was starting to get stiff, pulled the rocker cover off and there was no oil prssure at cam, replaced the pump and fitted a new chain, now she is pumping oil like a fire engine pumps water!!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.