Vinyl wrapping tips

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

soupyrachel

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini Cooper S
Bought vinyl to wrap some small parts off my Mini. As anyone got an tips they would like to share when it comes to wrapping? Any help would be appreciated.

corsacj

RMS Regular
What size/type of parts you doing?

For complex curved parts like wingmirrors, dont use a small piece, use a piece far too big for your part and heat it gradually so that it streches evenly over the piece.

For small intricate parts like this handle I did (not fully finished in the pics) I overheat the edges. On the corners where it folds in and it wouldnt be seen I melted the vinyl to itself using the heat gun so that it could be pushed flat into the edges, it makes it feel kind of like blu-tac but it allowed me to keep the weave on the visible part perfectly straight, the edges were moulded down further after this pic and then trimmed closer to the edge. I havent seen anybody reccomend this before but on parts like this I find it perfect and it keeps the vinyl nice and tightly held at the parts where the handle travels

523382_10151171540962505_574370526_n.jpg

Post heating the vinyl is also important on complex shapes so that it "memorises" the shape

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Patience is key! Also use decent Vinyls ive tried some cheaper vinyls and have been an absolute bugger to work with! were some of the branded vinyls 3m, Hexis etc etc etc have been real easy to work with. Also make sure the part your wrapping and the area you working on is dust/dirt free really attracts the dirt and once its stuck to the vinyl your best just binning it! and starting again. I tend to heat the part as well as the vinyl for a few seconds after removing the backing then apply it on, 2 pairs of hands can always come in handy too especially if the part isnt attached to the car.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Decent heat gun is key, something that adjusts the temp digitally and flow rate also, pick a cheap bosch one up for about £40 that will do nicely.

Also, avoid the cold, do it on or in a warm area, will make a huge difference to how the glue bonds! Kitchen with the oven on for an hour or so will save you loads of time.

20120916_030018.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.