VW Passat 2012 MPG?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

JT1990

Changed car (December) from a VW Passat TDI 130 SE 2003 to a VW Passat TDI 140 SE 2012.

The last Passat was a very reliable car and had very good MPG, usually 40-45ish in the town and 50-55+ on the Motorway.

Many sources quoted the 2012 VW as being better etc with 55+ MPG on the motorway, having driven it now for 2 months I've found that the MPG is significantly less than the old car, getting about 35MPG in town and on average 45MPG on the motorway, (not exceeding 70MPH). No matter how I drive it I cant get 45+

Anyone able to confirm if these are acceptable modern day MPG readings, given that they are worse than my old car or should I be looking further into the fuel consumption?

Thanks.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
It should definitely get better than 140.

However, you will never achieve the stated MPG figures nowadays. They are geared for emissions and set in completely unrealistic environments. Our old 1.6TDi Golf was worse than our 1.9 and it was meant to be 60mpg plus.

JT1990

OP
J
Yeah, places like whatcar.com reckon the average MPG is 61.4. I usually take about 10 off stated figures so I was hoping to achieve 50MPG. Something similar to my old 2003 car, but its actually turned out worse!

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
@JT1990 You may have another issue - my last Golf struggled to reach 45mpg on a 35 mile journey when I first got it at 3 years old- I just assumed the motor wasn't just as economical as the previous 8 year old diesel i'd owned and lived with it but it turned out to be a problem with the rear passenger brake that got spotted in the next service, returned 55mpg plus on the same commute after that got sorted.

i assume you have checked the obvious stuff like tyre condition and pressure, serviced correctly, checked for stored error codes, used a fuel system cleaner etc already?

JT1990

OP
J
Yeah I've done preliminary checks, such as tyre pressures, tyre condition is (~90%) and even went as far as removing everything all my coats and other items from the boot in a effort to reduce weight! The car currently has 20K miles, and was previously owned by VW themselves so I shouldn't have an issue with its history. It was bought from a reputable car dealership in NI with full service included.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
I have a mk6 golf 1.6tdi bluemotion.. 50k on the clock and im lucky to see 52-53 average its usually in the late 40's.

Dont think ill be buying another one tbh..

JT1990

OP
J
Sounds like I'm on average then. Bit of a shocker when I've lost 10MPG off my previous 10 year old car, which was the exact same spec!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Sounds like I'm on average then. Bit of a shocker when I've lost 10MPG off my previous 10 year old car, which was the exact same spec!
was it also a 2Lt?

mine is a passat estate so a heavy car to be driving about

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
That's a load of pish to be honest, surely the petrol would be almost as efficient - has to be something wrong.

JT1990

OP
J
was it also a 2Lt?

mine is a passat estate so a heavy car to be driving about

Previous car was a 1.9TDI 130 Passat SE (2003)
Current car is a 2.0TDI 140 Passat SE (2012)

Both saloon, so its a close a comparison as any

Jason

RMS Regular
The b6 2.0lt is deffo worse than the b5.5 1.9 tdi on mpg, struggling to get 40mpg in my b6 estate, vs near 45 on the b5 saloon (mapped)

The 2lt CR does seem to return better mpg though up high 40's

DMC 4087

RMS Regular
Previous car was a 1.9TDI 130 Passat SE (2003)
Current car is a 2.0TDI 140 Passat SE (2012)

Both saloon, so its a close a comparison as any

Would it be the dpf in the newer car causing the mpg to be lower? (I presume the 2003 doesnt have one).

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
The father in law was often getting high 40s low 50s in his 08 passat 140. I be interested to see how his new CC fares.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
The folks 2007 a4 2.0 tdi averages around 50 mpg city driving, then high 50's/ low 60's on the motorway. Theirs is the saloon though.
The missus is the most economical driver i know and in her wee 1.4TDi gets 70mpg ish and in mine it went to 48mpg.

the odd day when i am not in a hurry to a job or such likes i will see 45mpg but after that it's a dream with a prompt driving style

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
The missus is the most economical driver i know and in her wee 1.4TDi gets 70mpg ish and in mine it went to 48mpg.

the odd day when i am not in a hurry to a job or such likes i will see 45mpg but after that it's a dream with a prompt driving style

@carmadchris said before i bought it they ain't too hot on fuel and 550-600miles per tank is about right which i am roughly getting

JT1990

OP
J
I'm contemplating getting this car remapped. I had the old one chipped and it was ideal. I've heard that remapping is better (?) and I did find that the chip made the gear changes often broken and jumpy. Bearing in mind that I want to keep this car for a long time (8-10years) is it worth removing the DPF while I get it remapped? I've heard reports of them causing a lot of trouble and perhaps affecting the MPG. Is it worthwhile removing them or must they be "reattached" for every MOT?

Ideally I only want a few extra horses as a more eco remap than a performance remap.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
i have been contemplating this recently also, however with no DPF it would just be for a big more economy

however the economy on the astra when it was mapped went to **** lol down from 50-55 to 40-45, these figures where done via a calculator not an on board trip

JT1990

OP
J
I found with my 2003 1.9TDI Passat chipped that it had better MPG and better performance so I'm hoping for similar results with a remap of this car. I'm just not sure on the whole possibility of removing the DPF now as it's all new to me and is it worth removing?

matt88

RMS Regular
Drives
Chevrolet Spark
Make sure you're getting your fuel from somewhere decent. Avoid asda and tesco where possible. Also make sure you aren't running your air con when you don't need it. It will drop your mpg significantly.

S2000-sam

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000, Passat tr
Im doing about 40k/yr

07 Passat 140 SE overall average was 42mpg (160k at the last)
12 Passat 140 SE overall average 48.5 mpg (60k on it)

Doing normal driving with my heavy feet, I can see 50-55 mpg on a trip reasonably often. Tonite was 51.1 mpg (over a 26 mile run home) with a mix of congestion and Motorway. Very pleased how it affects the P11D!!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.