XC90 d5 automatic gearbox - No drive when warm

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
not quite as simple as that, coolant is under more pressure, maybe more so than the gear oil at a guess. i get your logic but not sure exactly why, coolant was clean in that merc too.
maybe not your issue, but same result, maybe just high mileage and the clutch pack is toast.

Interesting!
I might pull the cooler lines off and run the car and see if any water comes out the box cooler ports. Nothing to lose now.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Showing my lack of auto gearbox knowledge here....

Would the box off a 2.5t petrol xc90 fit? It appears to be the same model, and AW55/51SN. But is it possible that the ratios of the petrol model are different to that of the diesel. Similar to manual boxes?
Or is there some trickery within an auto box that means this isn't an issue?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Could well be the same, more likely that the final drive ratios would be different than the box. I'm sure someone will know for sure as the box will have a full part number that indicates ratios.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Interesting!
I might pull the cooler lines off and run the car and see if any water comes out the box cooler ports. Nothing to lose now.
doubt you will see much with the eye, i believe it was minimal leakage on the mercs but the glycol in the coolant was enough to destroy the clutch pack. sounds like you need a gearbox either way, but wouldnt want it happening again!

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Showing my lack of auto gearbox knowledge here....

Would the box off a 2.5t petrol xc90 fit? It appears to be the same model, and AW55/51SN. But is it possible that the ratios of the petrol model are different to that of the diesel. Similar to manual boxes?
Or is there some trickery within an auto box that means this isn't an issue?
Compare the part numbers, best of my knowledge the petrol boxes are made of chocolate but I did see someone say it's the T6 is the Chevy box.

I think if the coolant was mixing you would see drops on the dipstick or the oil would be milky.