Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
Quick one, can i book an MOT with a new owners slip? or do i need to wait for a v5?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
dont think you need either ?

Just book the mot, all it asks for is registration and last 4 digits of chassis number. Then pay up.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
dont think you need either ?

Just book the mot, all it asks for is registration and last 4 digits of chassis number. Then pay up.

Says on the website that you should bring the v5 but can't see any mention that the new owner slip would be ok

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I've never been asked for either the v5 or mot booking confirmation in the 6/7 years I've been going.

Just wave me in and do there thing.

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
My upper brake light isn't working at all, none of the LED's light up, yet the rear two brake lights do.
I have a 9n3 GTi, which is really quite difficult to access the upper break light, apparently you can only replace it by removing the spoiler or smashing the light.
Tested the connection and there is power going to the LED strip.

Any advice for MOT?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
As long as the 2 normal lights work properly, they're the only ones required by law.

But probably better that the high level doesnt work at all, than partially.

Steve_0

Drives
Toyota Avensis
I have a car in England which MOT has expired on. How can I legally bring it back to NI in cheapest way possible?

Can I transport to the ferry and then have another transporter collect in Belfast or would I need a transporter to come the whole way with it?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I have a car in England which MOT has expired on. How can I legally bring it back to NI in cheapest way possible?

Can I transport to the ferry and then have another transporter collect in Belfast or would I need a transporter to come the whole way with it?

If its taxed i would drive it home.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Probably cheaper just to transport it the entire way...certainly less hassle. Ferry's dont drive peoples cars on/off the ferry for them.

Other option is just MOT it and drive it home.

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Can someone clarify that if an engine management light is on.. it's not a fail?
Got my MOT tomorrow, it was due to the decat being on, which has now been swapped over for a normal cat.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I have a random one - the rubber boots on shock absorbers , mine have disintegrated. Are they needed? Hopefully not because if one has basically disappeared I'm sure they all have and I cannot be bothered dropping the shocks out of it just for that!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Can someone clarify that if an engine management light is on.. it's not a fail?
Got my MOT tomorrow, it was due to the decat being on, which has now been swapped over for a normal cat.

Apparently that light is not a fail.

Only cars July 2002+ require a cat, and even then it's only a visual check.

But if the light is on because something is wrong, there is still the potential to fail the emissions test because of that fault.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Anyone put a Honda accord through mot with a VSA light on?

Amber light on dash. Abs light is not on
Just wondering if that will fail mot

Car is 2006. 2.2 cdti

Cheers

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
I've been asked for it recently and had it but previously I just turned up with nothing more than the booking reference on my Android.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
it's probably been asked already but do the electric windows have to work for the mot

goofy

Drives
mondeo
it's probably been asked already but do the electric windows have to work for the mot
No