Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Once on your insurance...windscreen is a windscreen. Who's to say when it got broken other than them trawling through the net to find this thread.

I get where your coming from, ordinarily I would agree, but the car in question has no MOT, so it would be hard to bluff as I wouldnt have been driving it

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Likely been answered already, but where do you apply for a new MOT disk and much much?
0845 2472471, costs £10 from memory

So could I be failed for it stevie?

Last time I was in he definatley asked to see front fogs....
What he @pablo sid

think as long as the glass isnt broken they are fine. not part of the test afaik.

As for the windscreen, hard to say, but if its the width of the car its probably no good, due to structure issues

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
As for the windscreen, hard to say, but if its the width of the car its probably no good, due to structure issues

Its not the full width tho, its about 3/4 and doesnt reach the edge on either side.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Can't be bothered reading through all 31 pages so here goes...
My truck failed MOT three weeks ago tomorrow. Does that mean I would have to take it for a retest tomorrow or can I still book a retest tomorrow to take place outside the 21 days? I tried to book the retest online but it tells me there's no weight listed against the truck so I can't proceed to the booking stage.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Its not the full width tho, its about 3/4 and doesnt reach the edge on either side.
The answer you're looking for is "it'll be fine", the honest answer is, I can't tell from the pic, it looks no good to me!

Can't be bothered reading through all 31 pages so here goes...
My truck failed MOT three weeks ago tomorrow. Does that mean I would have to take it for a retest tomorrow or can I still book a retest tomorrow to take place outside the 21 days? I tried to book the retest online but it tells me there's no weight listed against the truck so I can't proceed to the booking stage.
Only needs to be booked within the 21 days, book it for weeks away then re-arrange the appointment when the vehicle is repaired

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@JCLC, the digital screen that has the odo meter on it in my rangerover, is on the blink and don't think I can get it sorted before mot. Miles are still being recorded and screen works when clocks are half out, must be a dodgy connection for the bulbs in it.

I'm sitting a retest for an abs fault which is fixed, is the odometer not working a fail, mechanic says it's not?

Also thanks for all the questions you answer here, it's a great help.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I see the dum dums have taken the MOT manual offline so nobody can view it...

WTF is that all about ?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
If mileage can't be read it just won't be recorded. Speedo needs to work, but as its an ABS light, I doubt it will even get into the centre, just switch the ign on and off to check the light is working.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
If mileage can't be read it just won't be recorded. Speedo needs to work, but as its an ABS light, I doubt it will even get into the centre, just switch the ign on and off to check the light is working.

Thanks, Abs is fixed now and light coming on and going off again.

Speedo is working, just the digital screen for the total miles and trip computer seems to have a bad connection and not lighting up.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
My engine management light has been on for a few months now (need glow plugs replaced again).
Is the light on a fail?

giomach

Drives
Smart
My car has failed the MOT, and I have a list of repairs to do. I now have to decide whether it is economical to do them.

My question is: if I get all the listed faults fixed, and fixed satisfactorily, can I count on passing a retest? Or is it possible that a new fault could be reported in the retest?

I'm not talking about faults that may develop between test and retest, like an exhaust falling off. I'm asking whether there could have been faults during the original test which were not on the list given to me.

This possibility seems to be ruled out on the webpages describing the UK MOT test, which seems to say that only those faults listed in the original test report will be re-examined. But I have found no such statement on the NI MOT webpages.

Why would a test centre deliberately give an incomplete list of faults? I don't know. But the question is — would they?

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Strictly speaking you should only be re-tested on the items that failed but if they see something obvious then I'd say they will test it. To be honest, all cars should be roadworthy for the safety sake of all other road users, so if you suspect something wrong then why not fix it? What are you thinking off?

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Does anyone recall when the ni-direct website gets updated with new MOT dates from cancellations? The site also used to show the earliest date by test centre but I can't find that anymore either.

giomach

Drives
Smart
Strictly speaking you should only be re-tested on the items that failed but if they see something obvious then I'd say they will test it. To be honest, all cars should be roadworthy for the safety sake of all other road users, so if you suspect something wrong then why not fix it? What are you thinking off?
Thanks for quick reply. Anything that I suspected was faulty would be fixed for the retest, along with the faults reported in the original test. But I can't very well fix anything I am unaware of, that was not reported in the test, and that my mechanic is happy with. Of course there is no problem if I can rely on the test result to tell me everything that needs attention, hence my question. If I can't rely on that, I could spend money on fixing things only to fail the retest on something cosmetic but expensive which was not reported before. Perhaps I'm being over-cautious...

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Of course you cannot rely on the test to bring everything to your attention. It's a quick 20 minute check over basic safety items ( and some stupid items )

Before the MOT you're supposed to have the car checked over, as well as normal maintenance. This is what ensures the car is safe and fit for the road.

The MOT cert is a half assed verification that the car is ok, and not really worth the paper it's written on anyway, even if they claim it lasts 12 months.

There would be no money wasted fixing things...if nothing needs fixed. Find a sensible and competent mechanic and there will be no problem.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
@JCLC I've got an MOT at the end of the month with the MK3. It's got a crack along the seam at the back of the backbox, is this an emissions fail?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Does a mid engine car need an engine cover? I've a carbon fibre engine cover being made but it's going to be months. The turbo is so huge the bonnet would need lifted about three inches to clear it properly. Or would I be safer just cutting a chunk out of existing cover and putting in a bufty looking bulge for the turbo