Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
It's bit worn at the edge

Frayed with strands coming off is deemed ok ?

I can agree it will still handle quite a load, but would be hard to say it is in good order. It's a bit like some corroded brake pipes....they'd still be fine for a few years. But you still wouldnt let them go.
Yes it is, has to be torn by 1/3 or something silly like that before its a fail. I agree, I wouldn't have it in my car, but MOT is minimum standard.....

JCLC, I've noticed a very slight tear in a brake line, it isn't enough for it to weep.

Fail or advisory?
You say brake line, I assume you mean flexi hose? If canvas is exposed its no good

@JCLC My MOT is due on the 1st of June, could I MOT it say, this week so I could sell it with a full years test on it? Also, what if the car failed on the early test, would I lose my remaining 2 months? lol
If the car is tested within 28 days of the expiry date, the remaining time gets added on, anything more than that is lost. After a cars first MOT, you can test it again the next day if you want, but remaining time doesn't get added on, unless as above. Should it fail, you still legally have an MOT, but you are driving a car which is unroadworthy, so should Mr Policeman find out, I think it would be frowned upon....

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
@JCLC I'm guessing any check engine light on is a fail now? Need to replace my downstream O2 sensor, fault light was reset last week and came on again this morning, with MOT tomorrow afternoon.

I have a new sensor ordered, so gonna stick it through anyways and just have to pay for a retest when I get the new one fitted, just be nice to know its gonna fail before I arrive for a change

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Anyone know what the waiting time is for an appointment in Coleraine atm?

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
@JCLC I'm guessing any check engine light on is a fail now? Need to replace my downstream O2 sensor, fault light was reset last week and came on again this morning, with MOT tomorrow afternoon.

I have a new sensor ordered, so gonna stick it through anyways and just have to pay for a retest when I get the new one fitted, just be nice to know its gonna fail before I arrive for a change

I've an obd fault reader ere it's just a cheapy but might pull u outta a hole to reset?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00F3V9MYG/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1400706425&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Last time I was in they checked my front ones. My old man says I will be fine but he mot's that many cars and bikes, the men are definatley easy on him. Hate the thought of failing just on a foglight.

I know someone who put an almost new bmw through last week, under 20k on the clock, had no advisories and they failed him for having one wheel nut missing.....absolutley ridiculous.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Pretty sure fronts aren't tested, rears are.

Front fogs have never been part of the MOT test.

But legally, any lights fitted must be functional. Legal and MOT are different things.

But as nobody has a ****ing clue how to use front fogs...probably a good thing if they dont work

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
So could I be failed for it stevie?

Last time I was in he definatley asked to see front fogs....

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I'd doubt they'd even notice they were missing.

I've never had them ask for the front fogs.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Hey Guys, need a little bit of advice here.

Went to view a car last night that has a cracked windscreen.
Doesnt bother me at all, but im looking to know if it would pass MOT.
The crack isnt in the line of sight and is not (really) visible from inside the car.

The crack runs near the full with of the car, across the bottom of the screen

IMG-20140528-00989.jpg
IMG-20140528-00988.jpg

Any thoughts?

I'd buy the car if it would pass MOT in its current condition but its not worth putting a screen into

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It isnt really in the field of vision, and if it isnt affecting wipers it should be ok.

What car is it ? Screens usually arent that expensive.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Screen not be replaced through insurance?

I always thought crack in screen was a fail for the loss in strength for a crash? As in crumple zones and transfer of energy through screen to roof zones etc

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Car is a Lexus, so the cost of a new screen is £280 + VAT,
Dont think insurance is an option, seeing as its a new car - to me anyway

Maybe @JCLC May be able to give a definative answer?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Car is a Lexus, so the cost of a new screen is £280 + VAT,
Dont think insurance is an option, seeing as its a new car - to me anyway

Maybe @JCLC May be able to give a definative answer?

Once on your insurance...windscreen is a windscreen. Who's to say when it got broken other than them trawling through the net to find this thread.