Afterthoughts on the Belfast Motor Show 2014 at Kings Hall

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Folks this is going miles off topic. If it isn't about the Belfast Motor Show [debacle] then it is not for here. If the conversation is drying up then I will happily lock the thread.

garyhoker

RMS Regular
Drives
honda
well from what ive seen heard and read this went all wrong...... trying do things by oneself never works ive heard members even offered advice but to been shuned, not good people spen time and money to go to this so called motor show only to be let down .

CHR15-53AT

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT Ibiza
find it hard to feel sorry for those who should have known better but still went.

It sucks for those who didn't know any better and got ripped off.

Loving the whole "We're not Geneva / Las Vegas , we're Norn Iron" idea of a car show. To be honest, we're a little country, we like our motors, but the big boys already have their playpens and I'm not sure we could entice them to come to NI to hold anything more spectacular than Ballymena Carfest and truck show or one of the Dub Meets.

the kings hall isn't really looking as modern as it used to, sometimes just need to know the limits, and accept if you want a proper car show, you gotta go abroad.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I hate the Kings Hall, it badly needs a makeover. But we have to live with it as there's very limited venues for something like this.

CHR15-53AT

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT Ibiza
correct, the venue isn't the reason for the failure, its all we have, but come on, in this day and age are you going to attract a wheen of top marques to put their prize possessions on show in a wheen o wee sheds. They'll expect a glamorous and beautifully sculptured well maintained grounds and building, not a huxter of a place. we would need a hall similar to the Silverstone wing or something, we have nothing that will pull that kind of show. NI is a small fish in a big pond.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
With that attitude you may as well not leave the house. Better food in Italy. Better wine in New Zealand. Shopping is better in America. Australia has nicer weather.

If you arrange it, they will come....

...from the Boucher Road.

Oh yes ..................... they shall.

_46200797_queue.jpg

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
correct, the venue isn't the reason for the failure, its all we have, but come on, in this day and age are you going to attract a wheen of top marques to put their prize possessions on show in a wheen o wee sheds. They'll expect a glamorous and beautifully sculptured well maintained grounds and building, not a huxter of a place. we would need a hall similar to the Silverstone wing or something, we have nothing that will pull that kind of show. NI is a small fish in a big pond.

Noble came to a half-organised piece of crap.

Other marques would attend a decently organised event.

CHR15-53AT

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT Ibiza
Noble came to a half-organised piece of crap.

Other marques would attend a decently organised event.
the proof of that pudding would be if they came back, and not to knock them, but its Noble, other marques I'm sure have bigger PR budgets don't seem fussed, they were out with Marie Curie I believe, not a great yardstick to judge who might be interested.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I dont think people expected the Geneva motor show, simply some nice cars to look at and motoring based stands/activities etc.

not half a dozen owners cars and wedding fair booths. Oh and 2 Nobles.

CHR15-53AT

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT Ibiza
Point is, what kind of show does anyone want this wee country to put on?? Paganis, Lambos, Ferraris, F1 Cars on display, Geneva-esque, SEMA-esque, Goodwood-esque .... unless you bring some proper super cars and concept cars, i fail to see how it will be any different to the regular wee car shows with the same cars turning out time and time again, they aren't unique any more. If you've been to one, you've probably seen them all in NI.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Motor Show was nothing like any show I've been to since. They posted nothing of substance on social media and got 5000 people through the door.

The audience is there, it's just about giving them what they expect.

CHR15-53AT

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT Ibiza
I feel it needs more substance tho to justify a "show" price, like if dealers are coming up the boucher road in a few cars, why pay when you could go look at a dealer forecourt, it needs more added value, I fully agree we can do it, but it always feels lacking in je ne sais quios ... Truckfest is the next big thing there, its pulled in a few celebs and Monster trucks, not sure it's even worth the £16 if you've been once, you've seen it.

Im not just being critical for the sake of it, but some realism is needed, and if its going to be done it should be done right, not just slightly better, but balls out, better than anything that has been done before, otherwise its just another dub, jap, ford etc meet looking at the same local cars.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
There's nothing much more than what Pablo stated that's needed.

It's above all, a motor show.

CHR15-53AT

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT Ibiza
That's just typical of NI people and events in this country, sure just throw on a bit of this and bit of that and it'll be grand, people will turn up and we'll make a few quid, I see no petrol head passion there to make it something the place hasn't seen before. Frankly, disappointing that there isn't a bigger vision and passion to do it properly.

Think outside the box a bit like.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
A panel of say 12 influential well connected people in the business is all this idea needs to get off the ground and be successful.

I have no doubt there is the potential, just look at the crowds that Dubshed, Ford Fair etc can draw and those are limited audiences for specific brands.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
That's just typical of NI people and events in this country, sure just throw on a bit of this and bit of that and it'll be grand, people will turn up and we'll make a few quid, I see no petrol head passion there to make it something the place hasn't seen before. Frankly, disappointing that there isn't a bigger vision and passion to do it properly.

IT'S THE MOTOR SHOW!!!!!

Motors first.

And without meaning any offence, you ever organised a car show?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6

There is something in the works, relax :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.