Afterthoughts on the Belfast Motor Show 2014 at Kings Hall

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
couple of ferraris, porsches, bmws, basically the premium brand dealers in attendance. some live displays maybe, some rally cars, decent trade stands, an i8?

none of the above would pose too big a logistical problem

Not a logistical problem but surely yer woman wasn't so bad at organising that she didn't approach the main NI dealers? Was it not said that Charles Hurst snubbed the event? You have to ask why would it be in the dealers interests (and it would be dealers because manufacturers wont be any way interested) to move their stock and staff half a mile up the road for a weekend? Yes they do go to some events such as game fairs/Balmoral Show/Festival of Speed so what the heck did kerri do so wrong that they didn't want to come to a motor show?? I would suspect the Kings Hall is too limited a venue in terms of space. 12 years ago manufacturers had 4 or 5 cars in their line up, these days its 10 or 20. People also have high expectations so you need a show that covers everything. Normal cars for some people, supercars for others, modified/custom cars for others, vintage for others, motorsport cars for others.. I think the only way to make it work is think BIG. Bring everything you can into one place but in a cohesive way. Motorsport in NI I think is very active for all the size of us so I don't know why it wasn't represented at BMS but it should have been.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Here's a thought for you. You need a min budget of 1 mill for a 'proper' show.
You need to remember most of us are looking at this through rose tinted glasses. What 'we' want is in reality very different to what the general population want.
If you just hang on for a while I might have a solution.

CHR15-53AT

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT Ibiza
There is no debate here, car shows work, evidently even crap ones lol, I'm just saying that from a personal perspective to get me interested in going to them again they need to offer something new and different, something we've not seen.

I'm sure I've been to most of them once or twice, but realistically, they were seldom different, or better than the previous show. I'd like the next big motor show in this country to offer me something new and different, an experience I've not had before, something to get excited about. A break from the typical format that every show follows here because it works and people are too scared to bring or try to get something new.

The organisers of the next big show, need to think outside the box, possibly even invite suggestions for ideas and be open to ideas, otherwise it runs the risk of being, just another car show, at which point, you may as well not bother, because it wont be different to all the other ones we currently have.

pablo

RMS Moderator
There is no debate here, car shows work, evidently even crap ones lol, I'm just saying that from a personal perspective to get me interested in going to them again they need to offer something new and different, something we've not seen.

I'm sure I've been to most of them once or twice, but realistically, they were seldom different, or better than the previous show. I'd like the next big motor show in this country to offer me something new and different, an experience I've not had before, something to get excited about. A break from the typical format that every show follows here because it works and people are too scared to bring or try to get something new.

The organisers of the next big show, need to think outside the box, possibly even invite suggestions for ideas and be open to ideas, otherwise it runs the risk of being, just another car show, at which point, you may as well not bother, because it wont be different to all the other ones we currently have.

you are a car enthusiast though. Id say most people who went to the "motor show" were families who DO NOT go to the likes of dubshed etc.

Jono

RMS Regular
What the public wanted and expected was a classic type Ulster MotorShow - nothing more nothing less, that's blatantly obvious surely. I remember the old motorshows very well in the Kings Hall complex, loads of manufacturers with their new stuff, stuff for looking after your car, upstairs there was stuff like polishing demos, toy stalls, some cack for the house, more manufacturers, the bar, restaurant etc etc and then it flowed into the second hall where there would usually be more displays, motorsport displays and more- that not what people expected and wanted and were led to believe?

May be an outdated view in some peoples eyes, but that what I personally was hoping for. Add more modern twist on that and your onto a publicity and public pleasing winner, may not equate to a great bottom line in terms of £££ and that's what's at the crux of everything, making £££. I know the internet will have an impact on this type of show, but the impact surely would be minimal, most of the general public locally are still of the mindset where they want to see things in the metal, touch, poke about and talk to someone about, some may do a bit of online research, many will not.

One thing I don't want at that type of motor show is a display of cars that you will see at any other car show in a church car park or whatever, if there's a display of diesel Audis\VWs or similar polished on big wheels that that looks like the suspension has collapsed, the place for those vehicles in a classic UMS setting are on a modifying\parts companies trade stand or use one of the new outer halls like the one where the recent (****) Comic Con was held, if they are a draw for punters then they can be shown and enjoyed in their own space as desired.

On another note, the Kings Hall Complex is terrible looking these days, since Balmoral binned it off its went down hill drastically IMO, not been in the main halls for years but the outside looks bloody awful.

CHR15-53AT

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT Ibiza
IT'S THE MOTOR SHOW!!!!!

Motors first.

And without meaning any offence, you ever organised a car show?

Whether I have organised one or not has no bearing on what I believe the general public would like to see, or what I feel would make a great show, expo, convention, gathering, whatever.

Its a discussion isn't it, am I not entitled to think that our shows could be bigger and better, yes its a ball ache im sure to organise, but, if its worth doing, why settle for second best.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Not a logistical problem but surely yer woman wasn't so bad at organising that she didn't approach the main NI dealers? Was it not said that Charles Hurst snubbed the event? You have to ask why would it be in the dealers interests (and it would be dealers because manufacturers wont be any way interested) to move their stock and staff half a mile up the road for a weekend?

Perhaps if she hadn't have been looking the reported seven fortunes for a stand. Causeway coast Ford Fair seem to have no problem getting major dealer and manufacture backing.

Jono

RMS Regular
congratulate her on a sterling performance and wish her many more successful shows

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
Perhaps if she hadn't have been looking the reported seven fortunes for a stand. Causeway coast Ford Fair seem to have no problem getting major dealer and manufacture backing.

And have been successfully backed by Lindsey ford for 10 years now!
With around 300-400 cars the past few years

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Don't know about an Accent but there is a sliver Supra sitting in her driveway

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
It's probably getting doodled like this now.

image.jpg

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I'd love to see this new show, I'd help out if I was useful .. but I'm not, so I'll just help out by paying in for a nosey :p

Storm

Banned
Koenigsegg seem to be very big on PR, if I were the organisers, I'd be giving Christian a call/email.

I know it might seem like reaching above your/N.I.'s station but they've done big things for similar organisations so it wouldn't hurt to ask. Even if they arranged with their UK dealer to send 1 car over with a pile of brochures, it would be something huge for the show.

But, to keep this thread on topic so it doesn't get locked... Has anyone had any luck getting refunds yet?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Koenigsegg seem to be very big on PR, if I were the organisers, I'd be giving Christian a call/email.

I know it might seem like reaching above your/N.I.'s station but they've done big things for similar organisations so it wouldn't hurt to ask. Even if they arranged with their UK dealer to send 1 car over with a pile of brochures, it would be something huge for the show.

But, to keep this thread on topic so it doesn't get locked... Has anyone had any luck getting refunds yet?

Nice fella Christian ;)

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Agreed, I could wrangle up easily a hundred
I've just discovered that the dream motor show that everyone craves has already been held at the Kings Hall on 30-31 May this year.

It featured:
40 cars from 18 manufacturers
Over 20 Scooters and powered vehicles
You could test drive BMW, Ford, Fiat, Citroen, Hyundai, Honda, Kia, Mazda and Nissan

A free hot or cold drink for every visitor
Children's entertainment including Billy the Bear
A chance to win an iPad mini in our free prize draw.

And it had free parking, plus golf buggy transfers from the car park to the pavillion!!

So what was this amazing event:
http://www.motability.co.uk/whats-o...ibitions/the-big-event-belfast-2014#tab=tab-0&

Motability!! The preferred choice of the Northern Irish driver :p

Tagging a car show onto the side of that is a modern winner imo!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.