1998 E36 M3 Evolution

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

TSPORT

RMS Regular
OP
TSPORT
Drives
///M3
Have saw you a couple of times recently. Once parked outside my neighbours in Limetree Lodge a couple of weeks ago. Also saw the expression on your face when you met a s*itter pink/purple e36 on Longstone street on Friday evening past. Lol.

Lol yea I was shocked actually that someone would pay money to do that to the car but each to their own eh

TSPORT

RMS Regular
OP
TSPORT
Drives
///M3
Treated the M3 to a couple of coats of Collinite marque d'elegance :laughing:

Love how the colour looks at night

539897A7-09BC-4187-B942-515163C5469B_zps5m8wfeap.jpg

Also found a friend in the form of this lovely M3 CSL :heart:

D0D80D48-9E77-41DC-A1BC-CE0A6AD41F6F_zpsjxzrhvtc.jpg

45945112-E633-47B0-8544-CC3887B101DA_zpsyxoslqfc.jpg

Plenty of leg room for rear passengers :p

2BE57DD9-6073-46DF-9D29-7C56E0EF9CFF_zpsyt6z2hhi.jpg

Not an update really as the car does not need anything at the moment, just been enjoying on the dry days. (y)

Still tempted to fit Eibach springs and Bilstine shocks but still undecided as the car feels perfect as is.

Last edited:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Looking good sir.

I'm just enjoying mine too :grinning:.

I'd high recommend the B12 kit. I was jumping between the M3 and a few other cars last week, I do have to say the ride quality is fantastic. OEM in quality at low speeds, thats even compared to much more modern machinery! I say do it :grinning:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
For reference. What sort money is it to fully re do shocks and springs on one

Neil_M

RMS Regular
The shocks and springs are ~ £600 - £800.

Then you have to look at things like the front and rear top mounts, any bolts, fittings, alignment, labour etc.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Absolute beauty you have there man, best of luck with it. If i was to buy another M3 it would be one of these(y)

TSPORT

RMS Regular
OP
TSPORT
Drives
///M3
Looking good sir.

I'm just enjoying mine too :grinning:.

I'd high recommend the B12 kit. I was jumping between the M3 and a few other cars last week, I do have to say the ride quality is fantastic. OEM in quality at low speeds, thats even compared to much more modern machinery! I say do it :grinning:

That's what I am thinking, The B12 kit with RE Rear top mounts and Eibach ARB, would probably polly bush the rear too. Then I am thinking BBK's or alcons after that to beef up the stoppers, When I explain this to my mechanic he says no "leave it alone" but I still have this voice in my head with modding ideas lol

Neil_M

RMS Regular
That's what I am thinking, The B12 kit with RE Rear top mounts and Eibach ARB, would probably polly bush the rear too. Then I am thinking BBK's or alcons after that to beef up the stoppers, When I explain this to my mechanic he says no "leave it alone" but I still have this voice in my head with modding ideas lol

I might go for the Eibach ARBs myself. But I'll rebush the rear first to see what that does.

I've a new rear end waiting to get painted and rebushed, so I will do most things then.

IMO I would tweak the breaks before replacing them. Unless you are doing track work, I think the OE stuff is grand. A rebuild, fresh fluid and braided lines help loads. However I did have concerns over the front pads, but since they have bedded in they seem grand.

I'd be worried about NVH from poly bushing the rear end. I personally will go OEM and use the RE spacers for the trailing arm bushes.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Have been told polybush can start to ruin the comfort

Good new bmw oe items best

TSPORT

RMS Regular
OP
TSPORT
Drives
///M3
I might go for the Eibach ARBs myself. But I'll rebush the rear first to see what that does.

I've a new rear end waiting to get painted and rebushed, so I will do most things then.

IMO I would tweak the breaks before replacing them. Unless you are doing track work, I think the OE stuff is grand. A rebuild, fresh fluid and braided lines help loads. However I did have concerns over the front pads, but since they have bedded in they seem grand.

I'd be worried about NVH from poly bushing the rear end. I personally will go OEM and use the RE spacers for the trailing arm bushes.

I have changed the break fluid and will change front discs and pads all round as rear discs are still good. The car will not see a track in my ownership and the only real reason I want to upgrade the breaks is for the looks of a nicer calliper and bigger disc lol I think if I am going to rebush the rear I will used OE bushes with RE spacers as you suggest in the trailing arms. Again though none of this is necessary and everything is nice and tight as it and I have every confidence in the car when driving in a spirited manner.

Loving the E36 lad, looks really well in those photos.

The CSL, who's is that? Haven't seen that one around, is it ChrisB's? Last time I seen his, he didn't have a plate though...

The CSL is owned by Car Care Centre lisburn.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
I have changed the break fluid and will change front discs and pads all round as rear discs are still good. The car will not see a track in my ownership and the only real reason I want to upgrade the breaks is for the looks of a nicer calliper and bigger disc lol I think if I am going to rebush the rear I will used OE bushes with RE spacers as you suggest in the trailing arms. Again though none of this is necessary and everything is nice and tight as it and I have every confidence in the car when driving in a spirited manner.

Your damn right it will never see a track!!! lol.

Rear was Newly Bushed shortly after I got it, everything was replaced including the rear top-mounts, so it should be all good in there, hence how nice it is to steer.

TSPORT

RMS Regular
OP
TSPORT
Drives
///M3
Your damn right it will never see a track!!! lol.

Rear was Newly Bushed shortly after I got it, everything was replaced including the rear top-mounts, so it should be all good in there, hence how nice it is to steer.

Noticed this (y)

I just wanna tinker with stuff but my mechanic says no lol

Neil_M

RMS Regular

I've grown to be more and more of a fan of the braided hoses too. A cracking firm pedal when using the brakes with force. Might be worth a look for you?

I won't be tracking mine either, but I'm happy to do some subtle tweaks to improve the car.

Your mechanic is right, I'd agree and suggest you don't veer too far from standard. Certainly my ethos too.

If you want the spacers, I'm happy to half the postage with you? Last time I priced them it was cheaper to bring them over directly from Rogue Engineering in America, than it was to buy them from CA Automotive.

Neil_M

RMS Regular

There are a few guys on M3Cutters saying they found no additional NVH from fitting the powerflex RTAB's, Diff bushes etc...

I would like to tighten the rear end up, but while some of the bushes are worn, I'm not sure if I should go down the poweflex route, or simply new bushes...

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
I fitted 'Black' RTAB's to mine as got them v.cheap on eBay. They did make a good difference in handling, but I have to say i think comfort and cabin noise suffered a little, mine is lowered on cheapy coilovers too tbf. Its not horrible or unusable, it was just quieter before. I don't notice it until im on pretty rough tarmac though.

Also I think the 'black' Powerflex bush's are for track anyway so that would explain my issue! Purple would likely be 100%

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Thanks Keith, its hard to know what to do... Especially with not knowing what a brand spanking new one drives like to compare :laughing:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.