Car Insurance increases

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
True to the current trend my mother in laws insurance was £439 last year and the cheapest I can get this year is £678.

However, fearing the worst for my Passat insurance which is also due, I've just gone through the online comparisons and the quotes are actually cheaper than what I paid last year. 🤷‍♂️

Last year on the Passat was £438, renewal this year was £649 and the lowest they would drop to was £519. Ended up getting it with Tesco for £433, plus £45 cashback 👍🏻.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I’ve been waiting on my insurance cash back since July ffs 🤣
IMG_1114.png

robbiers2000

RMS Regular
Drives
ford focus tdci
Last year mine was 980 insurance with abbey taxi policy. Markerstudy pulled out and quote this year was 1365. Says they expect insurances to increase again next month. Rang Todd’s and got it for 997. 10 years with abbey nothing for loyalty now. Shop around everyone.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Gave mine a touch about the pricing dropped £8 below my best offer. Women was a bit stuck up about dealing with me asking about the discount. Told her straight that the other company would drop the 8 pound to get a customer. Might give them another ring and see.

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
That crowd Markerstudy were a pain in the ars# to deal with for me last year. Took them about 6 or 7 months to pay me for the bike I wrote off and that was with no one else involved.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
my renewal came in this morning £420 last year £700 this :worried: . Two years ago it was £360 so it's doubled in two years :worried: . Although I would guess the claim for my non fault accident last month is still open, as the car is not fixed yet because a bloody bumper bracket is on back order for another month or so

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Our traders renewal just in, up well over a grand more than last year.

Daniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
My 430d went from 600ish to over a grand. Silvia was 250 and I'm getting loads of quotes now over a grand for that. One classic insurance company is quoting 480. This is mental.

Getting hard to have 2 cars now. Maybe sell en both and get one good daily.

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
Does everyone declare their mods or remaps etc etc? I'm assuming a lot of us have modified their cars so if they declare their mods, they're limited to what Companies they are going to get insured with? I've my mods and remap declared so my hands are tied by flux. Waiting for my renewal quote in June :worried:

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
My 430d went from 600ish to over a grand. Silvia was 250 and I'm getting loads of quotes now over a grand for that. One classic insurance company is quoting 480. This is mental.

Getting hard to have 2 cars now. Maybe sell en both and get one good daily.
They both sound mad expensive, try a multicar policy or sticking your other half on as a named driver?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Does everyone declare their mods or remaps etc etc? I'm assuming a lot of us have modified their cars so if they declare their mods, they're limited to what Companies they are going to get insured with? I've my mods and remap declared so my hands are tied by flux. Waiting for my renewal quote in June :worried:
Yeah I have done the last 20odd years. Flux actually charged me £100 more when I changed to an unmodified R32 Golf mid policy. I should've just said it was mapped but didn't think. Once I'd had it a while I tinkered a bit and asked if I could get my £100 back 😅

Daniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I've been declaring mods since I was 23 with my Skyline, it actually made it cheaper. That was with Flux Direct which became Sterling Insurance. Had both cars insured with them and when I changed my 1.2 Swift for the 430d, they cancelled my policy and wouldn't insure me. Then when I tried to change the address on my Silvia they said they had to cancel my policy because they no longer insure that car. Despite it not running out until June. .. Just for changing address! Absolutely useless. Was with them for 10 years and multiple cars too. Won't be going back near them.

They both sound mad expensive, try a multicar policy or sticking your other half on as a named driver?

Tried it. It is cheaper with my other half on my BMW so I'm keeping her on it. But multicar is no good. Cheapest multicar policy was 1800. It cost me 850 for 2 cars last year. It's absolutely sickening.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Direct Iine taking the p1ss after 2 years with them.

Last years quote - £494.

This years quote - £821, then I added the missus - £979!!!! Clean license, full NCD.

Quick look on that Meercat one - £535 - added bigger courtesy car - £559.

A bit easier to swallow at least. But nearly a grand from Direct Line - FFS!!!

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Compare the market came up trumps again for me

Mercedes C220 was £192 last year, £202 (protected bonus) this year with 1st Central. They seem to have a discount via CTM that you can't get direct. Brother in law just insured the same way with a price much better than anyone else

My son's insurance is due on the same day. Just off his R plates, Audi A3 30 TFSI. Was £1590 last year and a welcome drop to £776 this year with Admiral (telematics).

So I'm rather happy despite the current trend!

I played about with CTM.... Seems I'm an anomaly. Didn't matter what car reg I put in off autotrader I couldn't get it over £900. Even tried a Ferrari Superfast... £880 🤣

I'm now re-evaluating why I'm driving an old Merc diesel when I could be in something much more fun for that kind of insurance bill.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Compare the market came up trumps again for me

Mercedes C220 was £192 last year, £202 (protected bonus) this year with 1st Central. They seem to have a discount via CTM that you can't get direct. Brother in law just insured the same way with a price much better than anyone else

My son's insurance is due on the same day. Just off his R plates, Audi A3 30 TFSI. Was £1590 last year and a welcome drop to £776 this year with Admiral (telematics).

So I'm rather happy despite the current trend!

I played about with CTM.... Seems I'm an anomaly. Didn't matter what car reg I put in off autotrader I couldn't get it over £900. Even tried a Ferrari Superfast... £880 🤣

I'm now re-evaluating why I'm driving an old Merc diesel when I could be in something much more fun for that kind of insurance bill.

Did you read the reviews on 1st Central insurance? All I can say is hope you never need to use it.
Model Y is up in a couple of weeks, getting some quotes similar to this..

I read that insurance for EV cars has seen the biggest increase.

Last edited:

davyk31

RMS Regular
Plenty of quotes are doubling and not just for EVs. My wife’s runaround Fiesta has gone from £166 last year to a renewal of £377 and about £300 is the best on comparison sites etc.