What's taken your fancy in the classifieds today?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Are they on last legs though with battery power?
and you will struggle to sell it to anyone else after you so it’s 20k gone once you buy it

At 4 years old with 20k miles I don’t see how they could be on their last legs? What’s the warranty on them? Surely even if you do 60k, someone is bound to be still happy paying £10-15k for a Tesla with 80k?
Did the etron not do something ridiculous like 90miles range though?

120 rings a bell, but equally as bad.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
At 4 years old with 20k miles I don’t see how they could be on their last legs? What’s the warranty on them? Surely even if you do 60k, someone is bound to be still happy paying £10-15k for a Tesla with 80k?
Screenshot_20240503_095813_Chrome.jpg

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR

Did you see the price of an MG!! and they get great reviews

An mg like but still haha

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom

Fair enough, didn’t know there was a long enough warranty on battery failure

Is there any aftermarket battery solutions appearing ? Other than paying Tesla, once out of warranty ?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Flip didn't realise the Model 3's were that far down in price for those miles! I would only consider one if we got free charging at work which may be soon!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Two main problems with second hand EV.

One is it is impossible to know how much battery capacity is actually left. They won't "fall off a cliff" like phones do, but they will gradually drop in capacity. All warranties are stated in terms like "minimum 70% left", like above, but there is no way to know. You could buy a 60k miles one that has been sat on a home charger all its life and has 90% left. Or a 20k miles one that's only seen superchargers and 70% left. No way to know. And no, looking at the "range gauge" tells you nothing at all.

The other is they are almost all bought new on heavily tax subsidised lease deals, and very few are buying them privately second hand without those subsidies. Might as well get a brand new tax subsidised lease deal .

Good to see prices coming down, but I don't think even 20k is anywhere near "cheap" enough to tempt someone away from a tax subsidised lease deal and no worries about anything.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul

One is it is impossible to know how much battery capacity is actually left. They won't "fall off a cliff" like phones do, but they will gradually drop in capacity. All warranties are stated in terms like "minimum 70% left", like above, but there is no way to know. You could buy a 60k miles one that has been sat on a home charger all its life and has 90% left. Or a 20k miles one that's only seen superchargers and 70% left. No way to know. And no, looking at the "range gauge" tells you nothing at all.

The other is they are almost all bought new on heavily tax subsidised lease deals, and very few are buying them privately second hand without those subsidies. Might as well get a brand new tax subsidised lease deal .

Good to see prices coming down, but I don't think even 20k is anywhere near "cheap" enough to tempt someone away from a tax subsidised lease deal and no worries about anything.

You can do a test in the tesla but it takes up to 24 hours as it completely drains the battery.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
My boss has one. Does about 2 miles a day and still needed sent away for some repairs that took a month.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What you save on purchase price you lose on resale. So unless you plan to run an EV until it’s scrap, you don’t actually save much bar perhaps fuel.

Battery packs wouldn’t worry me personally. Sure pick your ICEV and you’ll undoubtedly find an expensive fault someone has encountered.

Etron range was 140 miles IIRC.
Rather daily a horse, but look at the price of that
View attachment 433292

I was picked up by one of these as a taxi a while back. Awful. The rear seats were really uncomfortable too.

I’d rather take a mixed drink from Bill Cosby.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
You can do a test in the tesla but it takes up to 24 hours as it completely drains the battery.

So no use for checking a car before buying then.

I guess it is something a dealer might do as part of an "n-point pre-approved" process, but I have never seen any "capacity left" numbers advertised.

I think some sort of dealer warranted "remaining capacity" statement is needed for second hand EV to become a more viable mainstream option.

But regardless I still think the massive tax subsidies on new EV lease deals mean even a £20k second hand Tesla is nowhere near "cheap" enough.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Sure pick your ICEV and you’ll undoubtedly find an expensive fault someone has encountered.

Sure, but miles run and service history and dealer second hand warranty schemes at least give some useful hints and peace of mind on an ICE car.

Miles run on an EV mean nothing. The battery is really the only expensive/difficult to fix thing on an EV. The rest is just bolt on stuff and all the same. Some sort of dealer warranted "charge left" would be more useful.

E4mon

RMS Regular
My boss has one. Does about 2 miles a day and still needed sent away for some repairs that took a month.
Yeah from what I’ve read reliability seems to be a big issue with them. Might be better off in a Model 3

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Sure, but miles run and service history and dealer second hand warranty schemes at least give some useful hints and peace of mind on an ICE car.

Miles run on an EV mean nothing. The battery is really the only expensive/difficult to fix thing on an EV. The rest is just bolt on stuff and all the same. Some sort of dealer warranted "charge left" would be more useful.

To a certain extent but unforeseen failures can arise despite meticulous care. Even if you purchase a car with a brilliant service record from the best dealer in the land, the truth may be that the apprentice at the dealers wiped the oil filter annually, while the initial owner kicked it's head in from a cold start every day. There was a discussion earlier about 3.0tdi VAG engines requiring costly chain replacements at £8k each. Nothing is foolproof. A compelling argument against EV's for sure but minimal room for debate. I prefer to step back and take a subjective perspective...

E4mon

RMS Regular
Mrs C has one, we both love it. Is the daily hack.
Never any hassle with it then? I really like the look of them, more so than the Tesla but I worry about reliability. Is the range close to what they claim?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Not everyone has the option of a “tax subsidised lease deal” though?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
True. Very true. But I think most in the market for a £20-50k car probably do by now, through a company scheme or on a business.

Lol, I wouldn’t say so. Personally not 1 person in my group friends or family would be eligible. Can’t actually think of anyone I know in real life that would!