Speeding..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mmc01

RMS Regular
this might be a complete harvey price question..

But say you get a speeding fine, and the PSNI aren't even educated enough to put your correct details down, as in copy your details from your licence onto the slip, is there any way it can be overturned?

Anyone had this happen before?

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Happened me before, surname wrong and address wrong
i queried that an was told just to pay the fine to avoid any hassle if it goes to court

BUT speak to a solicitor, he/she'll be fit to give you an answer

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
this might be a complete harvey price question..

But say you get a speeding fine, and the PSNI aren't even educated enough to put your correct details down, as in copy your details from your licence onto the slip, is there any way it can be overturned?

Anyone had this happen before?

It's about the only area of law they can get everything wrong....and you still get nailed.

If they cannot get basic details correct, how on earth could you ever believe they have the speed correct, or are correct about the allegations they are making against you.
There should be no room for incompetence when making allegations against someone and basing prosecutions on those allegations or incorrect evidence.

Imagine them going to an assault or murder trial when they've got all the details wrong of the accused....Judge would tell them to feckin wise up.

Motoring charge ? guilty anyway even if it's wrong name, DOB, car details, date etc

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Yeah but he's not claimin he wasnt speeding or that the police have falsely accused him, the annoyance is the details, I would tend to agree that the details should of course be correct when recorded but the problem is human error, unfortunately it happens in everything from rocket science to policing, until ed 209 and robo cop come good it is what it is

If you think u have a shot then speak to a solicitor... The rms armchair expertise is fairly limited and they won't be the ones in court gettin it in the neck in a year of high road deaths and serious injuries

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
It'll be much cheaper to play ball and pay the fine, otherwise you're talking a few hundred quid minimum for a solicitor to go to court for you.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yeah but he's not claimin he wasnt speeding or that the police have falsely accused him, the annoyance is the details, I would tend to agree that the details should of course be correct when recorded but the problem is human error, unfortunately it happens in everything from rocket science to policing, until ed 209 and robo cop come good it is what it is

If you think u have a shot then speak to a solicitor... The rms armchair expertise is fairly limited and they won't be the ones in court gettin it in the neck in a year of high road deaths and serious injuries

And if the prosecution was a sincere and genuine effort by the police to improve road safety...which is of course bull****, all the more reason they should be able to able to record very basic and simple facts correctly.
If they are incapable and incompetent at such a basic level, then they should not be allowed in that role. They probably shouldnt even be allowed to drive themselves. There is no excuse whatsoever for them making basic mistakes like that, when their mistakes are used as evidence in court or other to inflict penalties onto others.

Yes of course the easy and in reality only option is to accept the punishment, as we the motoring public are not allowed to make errors, whereas it seems they can make as many errors as they want and still prosecute.

But in any reasonable law accepting society, the above should never be allowed.

big cyril

RMS Regular
@OP - I'd say it's at least worth running it past a solicitor, if it's just a minor mistake like misspelt name that's unlikely to be a factor but if several of the details are wrong it would make the whole thing look uncertain.

mmc01

RMS Regular
OP
M
I agree with what stevie is saying, I didn't say anywhere that I'm not accepting that I wasn't speeding. But whenever he supplied me no evidence of what speed I was doing, then hands me a slip with incorrect details on it. And says my driving is dangerous (open road with little/no traffic) when he was driving a car with a headlight out.
I didn't even question anything at the time, but thinking about it now, it doesn't sound right!

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Seen a case dismissed 20 odd years ago because the policeman was not wearing his hat at the time...things move on but maybe not for the better. At the end of the day you know if you are guilty or not and it's your own mind set if you want to wriggle on a technicality

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
What did you get cautioned with ??
Speeding or Dangerous Driving
Did he say you were getting points or attending court?

mmc01

RMS Regular
OP
M
just says speed in excess of 90mph on the slip and that I'm getting 3 points and a fine.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
In a 30, 40, 50, 60 or 70 zone?

I would be VERY wary about contesting doing in excess of 90 mph!
You could decline the points and attend court only for the judge to impose a harsher sentence.
You wouldn't be happy if the judge decides 90+ is dangerous and hand you a mandatory min 1 year ban !!!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
just says speed in excess of 90mph on the slip and that I'm getting 3 points and a fine.

So they're giving you a speeding ticket...but not stating any speed.

They're doing you for excessive speed...over 90mph, far above any speed limits here...and the cop is offering you 3 points and a fine ?

There's bull**** somewhere.

mmc01

RMS Regular
OP
M
So they're giving you a speeding ticket...but not stating any speed.

They're doing you for excessive speed...over 90mph, far above any speed limits here...and the cop is offering you 3 points and a fine ?

There's bull**** somewhere.

i dont understand it at all. I've never been caught speeding before so didn't know the script. but after speaking to a few ones who have, they've always stated a speed on the slip you get. mine just says speed in excess of 90mph and has my details wrong lol
Yea £60 fine and 3 points apparently.

In a 30, 40, 50, 60 or 70 zone?

I would be VERY wary about contesting doing in excess of 90 mph!
You could decline the points and attend court only for the judge to impose a harsher sentence.
You wouldn't be happy if the judge decides 90+ is dangerous and hand you a mandatory min 1 year ban !!!

60/70 depending on which bit he got me on - was into a 70 by the time they pulled me.

Sonny

RMS Photographer
Was pulled one night coming home in a derv Megane (v v hard to break any speed limit in that)

Officer took my name & speed etc.

Paid the fine and sent licence off.

Got a return letter with a refund and "Due to a technical anomaly this won't be processed any further" or some such.

My name was wrong.

1 speed was wrote down, then scribbled out and another in it's place...

Should add I was given the "do you know how fast we had to go to catch you" line.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
When you say he has your details wrong, what exactly?

Name, address, car colour etc???

I have been told by a solicitor before that it isn't like america.
If you want to contest you have to decline the points and request a court appearance.
At court you will say why you have requested a court appearance and on what grounds
you will say 'because he has my xxx details wrong'
Police will present a statement from the night you were stopped
The details on the statement may or may not differ slightly from the slip you have
They may present evidence also
you either committed an offence or you didnt
Judge will likely prosecute you anyways and may give a harsher punishment for wasting their time.

Ps when I say that it isn't like america, as in...

solicitor - so mr cop do you believe that my client was the driver in question on the night, that he was speeding, that he drove a WHITE car.
cop - yes, yes, yes.
solicitor - Are you 100% confident in his speeding, as confident in his speeding as you are that his car was WHITE?
cop - yes
solicitor - well his car was black, if this cop cannot get a simple detail correct like a car colour then how can we be sure that he can accurately and correctly gauge my clients speed.

YES LADIES AND GENTLEMEN HE CAN'T!! CASE CLOSED THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT!

Last edited:

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Was pulled one night coming home in a derv Megane (v v hard to break any speed limit in that)

Officer took my name & speed etc.

Paid the fine and sent licence off.

Got a return letter with a refund and "Due to a technical anomaly this won't be processed any further" or some such.

My name was wrong.

1 speed was wrote down, then scribbled out and another in it's place...

Should add I was given the "do you know how fast we had to go to catch you" line.

You were very lucky.
You didnt try to wiggle out.

Sonny

RMS Photographer
You were very lucky.
You didnt try to wiggle out.

I was speeding in a 30. They did however wait until I was almost home to pull me in. 1-2 mile later (in which I wasn't speeding at this period).

Wasn't going to kick up a fuss I was in the wrong.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.