Speeding..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
@Rocko nothing to add, most things have been covered ......

I'm not allowed to publicly disclose the "tolerance" figures we work to....
Each case on its merits
Driver Improvement Scheme is not run by police, so can't comment on it either .........

Some points in this thread have merit, others less so (much less so)

PhilM

RMS Regular
@brocks

would you say that speeding is used to criminalise a large portion of the drivers to generate income from road traffic, when they dont pose any greater risk than other users groups?

Do you think often times dangerous driving is clapped on drivers seen exceeding the speed limit when the police have no proof of the speed?

Phil

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
@brocks

would you say that speeding is used to criminalise a large portion of the drivers to generate income from road traffic, when they dont pose any greater risk than other users groups?

Do you think often times dangerous driving is clapped on drivers seen exceeding the speed limit when the police have no proof of the speed?

Phil

They dont need to quote dangerous, just excessive speed. It's open ended that way. Same with careless, reckless etc

I still find it impossible to believe he's been offered 3 points via FPN for 90+ !

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I was always led to believe the tolerance was 10%+1 because anything inside that is within manufacturer tolerances of the speedo. Ie. A speedo has to read +/- 10% of an actual calibrated speed and therefore the +1 means that the driver knows they are speeding.

KrisSRT

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTD
It may be 10% +1-4 but as someone else already said if the guy wants to do you for it, its only really a guide imo.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
They dont need to quote dangerous, just excessive speed. It's open ended that way. Same with careless, reckless etc

I still find it impossible to believe he's been offered 3 points via FPN for 90+ !

I got 3 points and a few hundred £ fine for 80 in a 60 on R plates, so I'd believe that. Each case is different! Mine was about 9 years ago though.

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
I can't comment on the rights / wrongs of speed limits or their enforcement parameters.... Not my place to write or create legislation

I am given guidelines ( as are my colleagues ) those guidelines are enforced where appropriate, reasonable and proportionate to do so

I cannot comment further

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
The 2 main factors that determine if you get fined or not:

- If you act like a pr*ck with the officer when you get pulled over.
- Depending on the side of bed the officer got out of that day.

How much over the limit you were doing is irrelevant. That's just my point of view from personal experience.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I can't comment on the rights / wrongs of speed limits or their enforcement parameters.... Not my place to write or create legislation

I am given guidelines ( as are my colleagues ) those guidelines are enforced where appropriate, reasonable and proportionate to do so

I cannot comment further

they need to give me the job of drawing up legislation lol

But the thread does seem to suggest a roadside cop does have authority to give FPN/points for "offences" other than basic speeding within any set guidelines ?
I thought the points system from a roadside cop was a fairly narrow and fairly specific range of offences ?

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
they need to give me the job of drawing up legislation lol

But the thread does seem to suggest a roadside cop does have authority to give FPN/points for "offences" other than basic speeding within any set guidelines ?
I thought the points system from a roadside cop was a fairly narrow and fairly specific range of offences ?

There is a list of endorsable FPN offences and £30 FPN offences (all of which is available online).
Re speeding - There are guidelines that Discretionary Disposals and Driver improvement schemes cannot be given over a certain speed at which point eFPN's are given-
Even tho there are guidelines for the speed limit for summary prosecution there's nothing stopping an officer to give an eFPN over and above that or similarly reporting you to the PPS for a speed that would fall in the guidelines for an eFPN....
That wud fall on the officer and maybe brings in other circumstances like the weather, traffic, time etc

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
what are the speeding rules now? iirc a member of the forum who is also a police officer said england is "10% + 2 mph over" is allowed and N.I. is not as strict.

my sister had to go to the speeding course, she said someone had to go to the course and they were only doing like 2-3mph over the limit. another person said their friend had to do the speeding course as well and they were only doing a couple of miles over the limit. if this is the case and the rules are the same, maybe the police are just trying to scare people into taking the fine/course? its not unheard of for the police to chance their arm to get a conviction.

now, if a police officer were to try and charge me for speeding for being a couple of mph over the limit, i personally would take it to court.

more crazy things have happened in court: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/motoring...e--buying-car-proving-manage-speed-85mph.html

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
what are the speeding rules now? iirc a member of the forum who is also a police officer said england is "10% + 2 mph over" is allowed and N.I. is not as strict.

my sister had to go to the speeding course, she said someone had to go to the course and they were only doing like 2-3mph over the limit. another person said their friend had to do the speeding course as well and they were only doing a couple of miles over the limit. if this is the case and the rules are the same, maybe the police are just trying to scare people into taking the fine/course? its not unheard of for the police to chance their arm to get a conviction.

now, if a police officer were to try and charge me for speeding for being a couple of mph over the limit, i personally would take it to court.

more crazy things have happened in court: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/motoring...e--buying-car-proving-manage-speed-85mph.html

2-3 over the limit is nonsense- I'm afraid that person at the course was lying!
The course would be for speeds similar to the when an eFPN can be issued but obv then depends on an individuals offending motoring history as to whether they can get the course

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
2-3 over the limit is nonsense- I'm afraid that person at the course was lying!
The course would be for speeds similar to the when an eFPN can be issued but obv then depends on an individuals offending motoring history as to whether they can get the course

again, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the officer issuing the speeding offense tries to trick the driver in to taking the fpn or the course instead of going to court

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.