Refurbishing brake calipers

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Anyone in the country refurb calipers, or do an exchange? Front calipers on the Legacy are needing replaced and rather than buying brand new ones at whatever price, I was wondering if anyone knows of a refurb/exhange place.

PhilM

RMS Regular
aye easy enough done yourself.

genuine rebuild kit if you want or bigred ^ as brendy says.

give the pistons a wee polish up and boom

Phil

PhilG

RMS Regular
I had a piston stuck once, drilled a pilot hole through it. Screwed in a drywall screw which drew the piston up the threads of the screw (like a bench vise) and pulled the piston out. Can get a new piston from 'big red'. Thats where i got the seals and new bleed nipples from too

plexo

RMS Regular
Drives
Mitsubishi
Some places will offer an exchange they will give you refurb caliper if you give them the old one so you get a few quid knocked off the replacement

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Haha. It was the mechanic that siad I need to replace them. Air line can't blow the pistons out.

Jeesus....is he that stupid he didnt use brake pedal to push the pistons out before taking them off the car ?

Of course an airline isnt going to blow them out !!

Long term and simplicity though it is easiest just to buy replacements from a local factors ( which will always be exchange units )

brendy

RMS Regular
Jeesus....is he that stupid he didnt use brake pedal to push the pistons out before taking them off the car ?

Of course an airline isnt going to blow them out !!

Long term and simplicity though it is easiest just to buy replacements from a local factors ( which will always be exchange units )
One of mine had siezed, used the half a pad technique to get it out. You can make a pneumatic (actually, could have been hydraulic) hand pump but to be honest, youll kill yourself or someone using it.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
I went with Godspeed Brakes in the UK for the caliper refurb on my Hemi. Top quality and service!

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Funny enoughm I just sent Ian a message asking for prices on kevlar pads for the wrx.

Great guys to deal with! Very well priced aswel considering the finish you get back in their caliper rebuilds.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I've refurbished 2 pairs myself, rear rangerover ones with new seals and pistons, and the front ones on the rover 220 just new seals, post on were like new behind the dust covers, think it was just old and gunky brake fluid that made a caliper stick.

Just used brake fluid to lube the Range Rover ones and it WA a hateful job, trying to keep the dust cover clipped into the caliper and then stretched over the piston. Not fun but satisfying after.

The rover seals kit came with the red assembly grease/lube, it made it so much easier, piston was able to be pushed in with my thumbs where as I had to use a brake rewind tool for the Range Rover ones.

Need to get a pot/tube of that red grease to have

Pushed the pistons out with an airline with them all tho,worked great if not with a bang.

Also popped the pistons out of 2 4 pot Brembos with a airline, weren't seized but was blasting them and repainting. The made some bang on the way out haha.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Get in touch with @mthompo on 028 9070 6777 for a price from ECP

I got a pair of calipers for a Lexus GS400 and a pair for my Hilux Surf off them for around £55 each. They are 2 odd vehicles as far as acquiring parts goes, yet they had them both in stock when needed (y)

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Are they Subaru 4pots ?
I have a few sets with the powdercoaters at the minute if ur interested

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.